Angler - Beverly Center

ice cold bivalves - capital (seattle, wa), kusshi (vancouver island, bc), pacific gold (morro bay, ca), beausoleil (miramachi bay, nb)

oysters were pretty flawless and the cocktail sauce and seaweed mignonette were also highlights.

radicchio with radicchio x.o. #fulltang
i hate radicchio aka ginger lettuce, but this was a revelation. the bitterness was balanced beautifully with the sweetness from the dressing but it didn’t mask the flavor, it was just a perfect complement. highlight.

amberjack
this was fine.

swordfish, olives
highlight of the night. this could not have been cooked any better, it was meaty but still moist, tender and buttery. i hate olives, but these olives were another revelation. i don’t know how they did it but they weren’t bitter at all and almost sweet, i wish i saved some of the olives for the chicken. so much better than my overpriced 88 dollar flounder.

bull’s blood beet with embered tomato and walnut
like a meaty portabella with chunky bbq sauce.

whole pastured chicken
came with a side of vinegar hot sauce/bbq sauce that went very well with the chicken. the breasts were decently moist, pretty good.

chicken knife

milk soft serve ice cream, smoked caramel, cacao nibs, salt
highlight

melon sorbet
intensely melon-y

11 Likes

Nice seems to be hitting its stride…

2 Likes

IIRC the seaweed mignonette was one of the things Chang gave Skenes shit about for being too labor-intensive.

When olives are fully ripe, they’re not bitter. In Liguria they put nets under the trees to catch the dead-ripe olives as they drop off.

thanks for the update! now i have to get there sooner

2 Likes

service was also outstanding, some of the best in la.

2 Likes

if they have the any type of fish nitsuke or sabazushi as a special, they’re must orders.

From the regular menu get the chinmi; salmon trout, holstein beef, grilled pork, or pork jowl with rice and pickles; and miyazaki wagyu with wasabi and nori. the sashimi can be hit or miss.

Sounds like they heard about the bitching about the pricing and changed the special menu pricing around a bit.

Had the radicchio salad xo sauce, delicious acidic, sweet, and with punches of salt and onion/garlic but didn’t really taste the seafood element that is in traditional xo sauce. Highlight.

Bbq beets and mushrooms were both good. Bbq beets were better of the two very meaty as other posters have noted . Mushrooms were well cooked but the hot sauce didn’t really add anything for me.

Antelope tartar with a yolk sauce. Instead of bread it’s served lettuce wraps stuffed with perilla leaves. I enjoyed this dish thoroughly as the perilla leaves added an additional flavor element that went well with the crunch of the lettuce.

Swordfish was delicious and perfectly cooked but they had an odd crispy something on top which was too salty for me. I could’ve done with just the swordfish plain with lemon squeezed over it.

I would say the highlight was definitely the service, on another level compared to the other top end restaurants in LA. Definitely no snooty high end actor/model server vibes. A lot of the staff appeared to be very young which I find uncommon in LA. I did not like the ambiance too dark and weird but partner loved it.

6 Likes

I think that “xo” sauce is completely vegetarian.

1 Like

Ah I didn’t know that

“XO” is sort of misleading.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvKk2RdhapD/

1 Like

Went on Friday night with the wife and enjoyed my meal. Plan on going back soon. The cooking is at a high level and I enjoyed the dishes I had.

sea bream ceviche with fried plantain

Antelope tartare - is there some beets mixed in with the tartare?

Radicchio with XO sauce - this was really great.

Grilled striped bass - this was also great, it had something like chili crisp on top which gave it some spiciness and a crispy texture

Bull’s blood beet with embered tomato and walnut

Angler potato and cheese sauce - a favorite! It felt you could eat it two ways, bite into it and it’s like a thick fry or peel the thin slices and eat it like a thin crispy potato chip with a soft interior.

Melon Sorbet was awesome! Nice creamy texture with a strong melon flavor

We also had the Grilled Parker rolls and cultured butter, we also had the chocolate bar as another dessert (no pics cuz I forgot)

Overall a great meal and so many other things to try on the menu. Service was excellent, attentive and thoughtful. Ambience was quiet without feeling like you had to whisper.

10 Likes

Thanks for the report. Did you happen to take a picture of the menu? Did they have the heirloom tomato? How busy were they on a Friday night?

Here’s the picture of the menu. (not a great pic since I was only using it as reference to what we ate)
No they didn’t have the heirloom tomato. I wish they did, I would’ve totally ordered it.
My reservation was at 8:45 and the restaurant was half full. I really think the location is hurting them. If they were expecting foot traffic at night. It is totally dead out there. We parked on the other side of the mall by accident and we ended up walking outside the Beverly Center to get to Angler, we were the only ones walking on the street.

2 Likes

Is there a street entrance?

its right next to parking entrance but we missed it and ended up parking on the other side. we thought there was an entrance from the parking entrance but you have to walk through some doors to your right for Angler. it really is positioned weird.

no

https:/uploads/default/original/3X/f/9/f9b0387fb75503eb5350888f43affc8953654c56.jpeg

1 Like

Reminiscent of the quest to find the main entrance at Simbal in Little Tokyo…

3 Likes

I’ve walked by there numerous times and that might be the most pedestrian-hostile block I’ve encountered outside of Las Vegas.

1 Like

The previous tenant, pf chang’s china bistro, had a street entrance, but angler closed it off and makes you enter through the garage.

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/c/1/c1a59a31dc386a14af819c5bc795f7bc382ebe05.jpeg

i guess they’re expecting you to walk in through the parking lot rather than from the street which i don’t think was a great idea