Angler - Beverly Center

its right next to parking entrance but we missed it and ended up parking on the other side. we thought there was an entrance from the parking entrance but you have to walk through some doors to your right for Angler. it really is positioned weird.

no

https:/uploads/default/original/3X/f/9/f9b0387fb75503eb5350888f43affc8953654c56.jpeg

1 Like

Reminiscent of the quest to find the main entrance at Simbal in Little Tokyo…

3 Likes

I’ve walked by there numerous times and that might be the most pedestrian-hostile block I’ve encountered outside of Las Vegas.

1 Like

The previous tenant, pf chang’s china bistro, had a street entrance, but angler closed it off and makes you enter through the garage.

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/c/1/c1a59a31dc386a14af819c5bc795f7bc382ebe05.jpeg

i guess they’re expecting you to walk in through the parking lot rather than from the street which i don’t think was a great idea

I don’t think the mall’s management / owners expect people to walk in.

maybe a mistake in this age of uber. I would think they would want some sort of street presence like a sign. Food looks interesting enough to make the hassle worth it although I try to avoid that mall when at all possible.

2 Likes

and we all know what happened to simbal…

2 Likes

That sure is a nice knife in the radicchio photo. :grinning:

1 Like

Only a misdemeanor :wink:

2 Likes

Beyond the “Twin Peaks” vibe, then, maybe what I sense in the ether at Angler are questions: Will Los Angeles embrace an upscale seafood restaurant with a fugue-state design scheme? Is Skenes’ renown enough to fill seats? Will diners even be able to find the place? Priciness considered, I’m cheering for Angler. But I do love a good mystery.

2 Likes

Nice. A little too much rambling on about the space and the soundtrack but maybe that’s because the menu is pretty small. No mention of how that chicken - or any of the meat (antelope, tartare or ribsteak, anyone?) tastes; I have yet to try any of those things myself but BAddy should have.

I know I’m an outlier on this board, but space is important to me so I rather liked the description of the space in the review. Once I find a restaurant where I like both the space and the food, I will keep returning to that restaurant versus trying new restaurants where one or the other may not please me. If I’m in a dive like my beloved Ethiopian restaurant I don’t care about the space, but when I’m spending more than $20 for a meal, I do. I know I’m an outlier, but it’s my money and I want to spend it in a place where I like the feng shui.

Speaking of feng shui, I just can’t get over the Beverly Center location – a dying mall. And they should at least have had a door to the street, particularly for Uber/Lyft dropoffs. We never drive to dinner anywhere anymore because we know we are going to be drinking and why take the risk? It doesn’t take much alcohol to put you over the legal limit. I was coming home last month from an evening business meeting (where I had not been drinking) and I got stopped at a alcohol checkpoint they had set up on Santa Monica Blvd. near Barrington. Seemed a rather stupid place for an alcohol checkpoint as no nearby bars that I know of and 9:30 p.m. seemed a little early.

4 Likes

The valet spot is right in front of the restaurant in the parking garage. So uber /lyft can easily get in and get out.

1 Like

Everyone complaining about the parking here probably hasn’t been or didn’t really make an effort. It is literally one of the best parking situations in LA, free valet with it’s own designated entrance.

2 Likes

Agree.

1 Like

And that’s one of the main reasons why…

I vomit in my mouth when I even have to drive by the place (the Beverly Center, not Angler).

Not food related, but the Beverly Center is an aesthetic sh*t hole and represents everything I hate about the city.

Back on topic: glad to the food seems to be good at this place, though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Once you’re inside, the space is nice enough if you’re okay with a windowless dark room.

1 Like

feels a lot like being underwater - in a nice way, I find

1 Like