Angler - Beverly Center

angler sf is indeed still going strong, although i have to say i found it a little disappointing in that while all the dishes tasted good and some such as the radicchio were pretty unique, they didnt seem to have the same level of finesse that other restaurants at a similar price point often have - a little like a one-hit wonder. i didn’t leave wanting to come back immediately…

reopening in a few weeks with an all new staff and no more caviar :sob: according to unverified max. @rlw

6 Likes

Ten positions open including general manager, FOH manager, chef de cuisine, and sommelier.

1 Like

WTF another of my best bites in LA gone never to be eaten again :sob:

5 Likes

Oh well then fuck it. I’m out. :wink: You caviar on every high-end menu haters are starting to piss me off.

8 Likes

Right?! That’s practically all anyone on this thread talks (writes) about… along with the bloody radicchio!

4 Likes

You forgot uni! Supplements for everyone! And wagyu! A5 or nothing

2 Likes

We’re also fans of the sundae thank you very much

6 Likes

Right?! Damn it!

1 Like

I’ve been working on an angler tribute for a while now

And a little salt as the shredded tires don’t have that beautiful caviar salinity

9 Likes

Let me know when you work that out because I never got to try the dish! :laughing:

1 Like

time stamp - 57:37

2 Likes

That sucks you never got to try it that banana pancake was fuckin spectacular

2 Likes

I know. :smirk: Wish I’d at least popped by the bar for that particular bite and a glass of champagne. The things I used to do after work when I actually got in a car to go to work.

2 Likes

Still on the menu in SF.

F the caviar and banana pancakes. I just want the simple salad. Phenomenally good. Perfection in flavoring of vinaigrette, amount of vinaigrette, and choice of greens. Rustic Canyon’s simple salad pales in comparison.

1 Like

Amen.

Real talk, I don’t like to criticize competitors but their caviar just isn’t that good. Incredibly salty hence it hides with that sweet banana pancake.

I love everything else about angler, but that caviar just ain’t it.

2 Likes

I feel like they’d already pared back the menu back already compared to pre-pandemic. If they were just removing some items, I don’t think they’d need to lay off the kitchen staff. I don’t know where the food will go to reduce the cost. It’s all already very simply presented, but there’s a lot of labor behind how things are made that I’m not sure how you can remove much without losing what makes them special (like the radicchio salad dressing). My guess is they will try to increase the seating density in the room along with more casual service. However, the location within Beverly Center is so easy to miss and without much better PR and awareness I don’t know if they can fill more tables. I also think they sell themselves short and could tell more of a story about how the dish is made and turn people on to why their stuff tastes so good, so maybe they come back and try different dishes. It may just not work in the location though, especially if you’re trying to deliver the same thing as the Embarcado location at the same price point. And it’s not even like their price point is bad for most things. I hope the food is still the same ethos and as good, because if you’re telling me I can get that food for less money I’m not gonna complain.

Interesting about the caviar saltiness, I’ve only had it once on our last visit and noticed it too. I just assumed it was intentional, but perhaps not dialed in right. The original Saison version I believe warms it inside kelp which would add more salinity and I thought they had done some version of that.

6 Likes

I was thinking this too, maybe as a foil for the banana or vice versa? Not an opinion, just contemplating. What kind of caviar does Angler use @clayfu?

1 Like

I believe it’s a custom product from a Delta farm.

1 Like