Antico Nuovo by Chad Colby

It’s taken us a little bit to get on the Antico Bandwagon even though it’s a straight shot up Western for us. Not that we don’t think it’s fabulous. We KNOW it’s fabulous. Antico Pizzeria was set up in the Fields before he opened up the Antico the restaurant and honestly, it was the best. I had more slices than I care to admit and was sad when Chef Colby moved on. But at Antico Pizzeria I would get a slice the thought of a whole pizza… was a bit much. Further, we have been making our own ice cream (Apple Brandy Pecan Pie FTW) at home… so as much as we have been enjoying the posts here… Again, not much drive to get up there…

However… When I saw the post about Horchata Ice Cream. OMG You GUISE. Years ago after a Office Holiday party we got left with a Jug of unopened housemade Horchara from a local mexican restaurant that sadly has since closed. P brought it home and we spun it into the most delicious ice cream. We have always talked about doing it again with Taqueria Los Anayas Horchata, which is currently my favorite… but you know… it just has never happened…

Still, I’ll happily pay someone to do it for me, and I knew this would be good. Further, P. has been to visit my family in Mexico enough to develop a taste for Hawaiian Pizza. So we went we with the most Mexican meal to come out of an Italian Restaurant… Hawaiian Pizza with Cesar Salad and Horchata Ice Cream.

As others have noted, the pizza is hefty. They will fire it right when you pick it up to get some added crispness and gooeyness to cheese, So I made sure to get it secured and in a sunny spot on the ride home…

As I mentioned, we ordered the Cesar Salad which was very proudly invented in Mexico and one of my favorite things ever. I LOVED the dressing. Crazy thick… wonderful flavor, very balanced. However, they use pulverized croutons. I like small croutons better… but otherwise, a very nice cesar salad.

And of course the Pineapple Express… I opened it up at home and was already kinda dispointed to see red jalapenos unstead of the green. There is just something that green pickled jalapenos bring to Hawaiian Pizza that makes me love it. These were spicy… but again… just didn’t hit that right note. Otherwise, it was very good. The pineapple was sliced thin so it was unobtrusive so the speck really shined here. Crisp and salty, it went well with the crust and and their awesome tomato sauce…

The crust was just how I remember it at the Fields, however, the bottom could have used a little more time crisping in the pan. That was the nice thing about the Fields since they sold it by the slice… it got that extra time on its own the the bottom was extra crisp especially with some good olive oil that seeped through. We have more than half left and will be reheating it in a cast iron skillet for sure.

ON TO THE ICE CREAM!

Since it was our first time, we also got cookies and cream as well as the Horchata because that is my favorite classic flavor. The cookies and cream was really nice. They seem to make their own ‘oreo’ which is little more bitter, but it hits all the right notes.

Then of course is the Horchata Crunch. Was it as good as Los Anayas… YES! You tasted the almond. The rice water. the Cinnamon. Not in a blend… but little whispers. It would hit you and you’d get all warm and fuzzy and happy. and the Crunch… SO CRUNCHY. It was like puffed rice in a light caramel coating. I love mix ins in my ice cream, but have never had one that genine CRUNCHY crunchy. Such a delight. And to gild the lily… before I heard about the Horchata Ice Cream Drop… I had ordered Chocolate Chip Cookies from a Neighbor who is a hobby baker. These were phenomenal. Excellent chocolate, crisp exterior but nice soft interior. Not under done, but genuinely tender and melt in your mouth. If you are a CCC fan (No nuts), you should try these. $5 for half dozen. She’s in West Adams, PM me for when she is taking orders again.

Looking forward to hearing the reports on the Porchetta. One of our favorite things ever was Evan Funke’s Porchetta Truck. If it’s anything close to that… We’ll be back soon…

–Dommy!

20 Likes

Thanks for the report, you had me at crunch. Now just need to make some more room on my ice cream shelf.

4 Likes

Great reporting back! Seatbelt-worthy stuff, indeed.

Horchata was sold out as of 5pm today (ask me how I know)…

2 Likes

OMG!! I actually picked up my order at around 5p (But had ordered it at around 4p)!! Once it was my turn to go in my late afternoon meeting, I shot up there… LOL!!

They seemed REALLY proud of it and hopefully they will make it again.

–Dommy!

2 Likes

Did anybody get a porchetta sandwich? Chad Colby posted they sold out before they even opened, dunno how that works…

horchata crunch
Took me a couple days to acquire this, but it was worth it. This reminded me of the leftover milk after eating a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch, in a good way, @TheCookie. Thanks for the rec @Dommy.

8 Likes

Omg! I can’t take it!

1 Like

Horchata anything is up my alley

1 Like

And with a crunch too! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Had the pineapple express and picked up some plum ice cream (not a horchata fan here). I really enjoyed the plum. Tart yet sweet. Dig the pizzas here, I know its not everyone style but you know what it is going into it.The guy said the sandwich was gone in minutes. But more sandwiches to come though!

7 Likes

7 Likes

Now THAT a much more appealing filling to bread ratio than what we’ve seen from other places!

2 Likes

Tenerelli nectarine ice cream @TheCookie, @J_L
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEdPgjqjejE/

7 Likes

Oh great! I was just saying I miss my Antico Ice Cream!

1 Like

Been waiting for comments on the chocolate hazelnut and the new nectarine… nobody? Anybody?

Nectarine is superb. Big pieces of fruit mixed in, and none of that salty finish which plagued some of Antico’s other flavors earlier. Get it.

7 Likes

chocolate hazelnut is decadent rich wonderful. Some chunks of hazelnut are bigger than I’d prefer but the crunch is really nice.

4 Likes

Horchata crunch tastes exactly like the milk After a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. So good.

9 Likes

Thank you ever so much for the push as well as the prompt reply (as I was in the area debating)!

1 Like

You must have read my mind

1 Like