Any Vegans here?

Had these yummies at Qi Steam Kitchen on San Vicente & Olympic. I could eat a batch of these… or two as a meal and be totally satisfied. Best Veggie Dumplings I’ve had.

Steamed Vegetarian Dumplings

Szechuan Chili Sauce & Garlic Vinegar Sauce

3 Likes

what’s inside?

IIRC - cabbage, carrots, bean thread noodles, maybe woodear shrooms, a couple other things & good flavor. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I love a good veggie dumpling! So often I end up with a sad mess of unseasoned shredded cabbage and carrots inside :frowning: And I’m very intrigued by the vegan raspberry shortcake donut in your first photo :grin:

2 Likes

I agree @hanhgry. I know veggie dumplings aren’t the most exciting but these were a real treat. They were steamed perfectly to keep their texture & flavor.

Someone mentioned on the Qi Steam Kitchen thread that they lost a cook. I hope consistency stays the same.

:chopsticks: :dumpling:

1 Like

Hi @hanhgry,

The next time you’re in the area, you should give Happy Noodle a try. We had some excellent Vegetarian Dumplings (Gyoza-style pan-fried, Steamed and Shan Dong Stuffed Bun style!). :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Wow @Chowseeker1999, these dumplings look great! I am definitely putting this on my “must try” list.

1 Like

Question- I am looking for a Chinese restaurant (can be takeout or dine-in) that serves tofu and Western broccoli with “brown sauce” or garlic sauce. I’ve searched on yelp and looked at menus for tons of places in central LA/SGV and have found only Chinese broccoli or they don’t include tofu. Or the tofu is stuffed with seafood. A little background- my husband grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs and I grew up in the DC suburbs. Nearly every Americanized Chinese food place around us had the same basic menu (orange chicken, General Tso’s, kung pao chicken, beef broccoli, etc) but they also could substitute with tofu. So you could get pretty decent orange or kung pao tofu. A lot of the places had tofu broccoli as a vegetarian option for the beef broccoli. We really want to find a place locally that does this!

although I realize that there’s probably some “contamination” involved with the sauces maybe not using entirely vegetarian ingredients, but I can ask the restaurant.

1 Like

Not directly on point, and I don’t know if it is vegan, but I just had vegetarian hot and sour soup delivered from Din Tai Fung and it was really, really good. And I am really, really picky.

Din Tai Fung only seems to have a few vegetarian options, however. They have tons of vegetables, but all of them come a la carte and there is no option to add tofu (or lean protein if you are not a vegetarian). They also have only one vegetarian dumpling and one vegetarian bun.

4 Likes

Impossible taco salad at Mendocino Farms was very good. The crumbly impossible burger did a great impersonation of ground beef. Didn’t really miss the meat at all.

2 Likes

What site am I on

I’m getting ready for the coronavirus pandemic by running 8Ks and eating vegan once a month.

1 Like

Can we still eat Chinese Brocolli? gai-lan

Was wandering around the Century City food court today and noticed this:

https://beleafcafe.com/#menu

Was in the mood for meat, so I didn’t try it. Has anyone else heard of/tried this place?

I tried a falafel taco here and it was mediocre.

2 Likes

Which one of you is in my hood?

5 Likes

Haha that dude gets around. He’s always in downtown.

@Luluthemagnificent

2 Likes

Was talking about this with some friends…

You don’t have to be 100% vegan. Don’t let anyone tell you any different. Personally, I never do anything to the extreme. I see 100% vegan as an extreme. Same with Keto on the opppsite end.
You don’t have to stop eating Majordomo short ribs, double doubles at midnight, Parks BBQ, danger dogs after a concert. Eat your damn vegetables like an adult. I can’t stand adults who don’t eat or like vegetables, what are you 6 years old? Want some Dino nuggets tough guy?

4 Likes

Keto is a weight loss thing… you have to be in it in order for it to work… on veganism i fully agree… i’m going to also cut a lot of meat out but will never go vegan… … will never care about butter and cheese in my dishes etc.

1 Like