Any Vegans here?

Was talking about this with some friends…

You don’t have to be 100% vegan. Don’t let anyone tell you any different. Personally, I never do anything to the extreme. I see 100% vegan as an extreme. Same with Keto on the opppsite end.
You don’t have to stop eating Majordomo short ribs, double doubles at midnight, Parks BBQ, danger dogs after a concert. Eat your damn vegetables like an adult. I can’t stand adults who don’t eat or like vegetables, what are you 6 years old? Want some Dino nuggets tough guy?

4 Likes

Keto is a weight loss thing… you have to be in it in order for it to work… on veganism i fully agree… i’m going to also cut a lot of meat out but will never go vegan… … will never care about butter and cheese in my dishes etc.

1 Like

Me neither but I have several friends who cut out dairy and its had a very positive impact on their stomach. I’m tempted to try this as I have some stomach issues too but I love cheese, butter and ice cream. Eat more veggies, legumes and nuts to help regulate.

2 Likes

yogurt is a dairly with a huge benefit for stomach… unless they actually have issues with lactose, eating fried acidic and and spicy food likely hurts them more… but i’m not the doctor here.

So many moms I know (including myself) raised their kids on the vegan chicken tenders. The regular ones are made with questionable “mechanically removed” meat parts. Yuck.

And not every meal has to be carnivorous. It’s so easy, especially in California, to eat well without meat or dairy at every meal. No need to be militant, simply enjoying the bounty of produce to which we have access. “Accidental vegan.”

3 Likes

If I went vegan or vegetarian I would eat a lot of avocados, nuts, beans, legumes & shrooms for protein & texture, and eat the processed, fake, meat stuff only occasionally. To me it’s the equivalent of hot dogs - you like eating them at the movies, sporting events & picnics, but for a healthy diet you’re not going to eat them everyday.

P.S. I live in your ‘hood @Nemroz, but I’m not vegan. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think you mean just the shitty hot dogs. Just like there’s trash bologna and really good mortadella there are trash hot dogs and really good 100% beef, natural casing hot dogs/wieners

1 Like

Yeah, that’s probably what I mean. But even the good hot dogs can have nitrates and a lot of sodium. It’s better to eat whole, minimally processed food. But my point is they put a lot of crap in fake meat to make it taste like meat. :roll_eyes: It defeats the healthier aspect angle they all promote.

Sodium isn’t bad unless you’re over like 3,500 mg a day. Nitrates, i’m not sure there’s anything conclusive on negative health benefits… the saturated fast found in the meat are a much bigger issue.

For me it’s about changing the plate, as they say, rather than give up foods I love. More fruits, grains, vegetables, fish, lean meats or smaller portions of the fatties like ribeye and pork belly. I grew up in a household that was 80-90% vegetarian. They let us kids eat whatever we wanted outside the house. I spent my allowance on fried clams & cheesesteak grinders. :wink: But at home we had chicken & fish sometimes (no red meat or pork) but would go days without any kind of meat.

P.S. I still eat the bad stuff every now and then. Just sayin’.

sounds smart… drink lots of water, sleep a lot, dont vote for republicans and you’ll live a long life.

6 Likes

Perfect! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I just spent $50 on beans at Rancho Gordo to get free shipping. I’m not sure what the hell I’m supposed to do with this many beans but I hear these guys are great.

Anybody else buy beans from them?

2 Likes

I’m obsessed

I started to write-up a little something but they warrant their own report. :hearts: TBC…

4 Likes

All the time. +Dried heirloom posole corn.

1 Like

Of course you would.
Please do a report or add recipes to a new thread.
I’m getting my first shipment next week and would love any ideas.

Same request as above. I heard the bean club is the thing but very hard to get a membership.

1 Like

I buy mine at Mr. Marcel and at Cookbook in either Echo Park or Highland Park.
:slight_smile: Haven’t had time to cook recently but I will post it as soon as I do. (But my cooking is usually not vegan!)

1 Like

They carry this brand at my local fancy grocery chain Nugget. Have a favorite variety I should start with? Disclaimer: I’ve never cooked dried beans (usually I pop open a can :grimacing:).

1 Like

:grin: @js76wisco

I will do it all, hopefully before your order arrives.
I got you covered too @chinchi!

Now, I definitely think we need a thread. My discovery and love of @ranchogordo beans started on a FTC Posole/Hominy thread. Good stuff if anyone can find it.

Why do we have to have jobs? TBC!

2 Likes