April 2021 Rundown

La espanola market. House bocadillo worth all the hype. Tuna bocadillo with olives also not bad.

Paella negra really bad. Just tasted of overpowering squid ink, seafood was over cooked and rice was dry. No soccorat.

12 Likes

How was the sandwich? We were in love with TR for the first year then things went downhill. Something was always wrong. Custards are pretty good iirc.

2 Likes

I agree.

1 Like

Excellent.

During the first 6 months of Covid, they were horrible. I got a sandwich that was almost all gristle, and sinewy. Yuck. Owner claimed in a PM they were not able to get beef top rounds.

Gone 3 times in the last month or two, back to the way they were. You HAVE to get the $1 extra beef. Though now, you’ll also have to spend $4 in sauces (pricks).

Great tots :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hubs wants to try it again now. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I get that it’s tough for businesses right now and generally I support charging extra for house made sauces. But $1 extra for commercial ketchup and mustard that only costs the operator pennies per serving even with the cost of the container would piss me off immensely and turn me off from visiting. Heck, I’d even swallow a .25 charge for every extra small container of ketchup or mustard. But at a buck each, eff em.

3 Likes

Get a side of jus.

The ketchup, I was mistaken. Packets are free. The mustard is their horseradish mustard. But agree, $1 for that is insane. They justify by saying they give you a pretty nice size soufflé cup.

But if you’re spending $9 per sandwich and $4 for fries, I think they should give you a few sauces for free. Hell, pre Covid, they had pumps on a table you could take as much as you want.

2 Likes

Perfect slices from the gang at Pizza Wagon. Wow, were they bustling.

Though they reheat, it NEVER tasted reheated. The crust is never hard.

13 Likes

Those chalices look perfect

2 Likes

Had a pretty stellar meal at Cha Cha Cha downtown. Way better than Damian. Great cocktails, flavors felt like truly eating in Mexico City.

3 Likes

This place has no relations to the Cha Cha Cha that existed on Virgil right?

No. It is a second location of a place in Mexico City.

1 Like

Got it

4% healthcare charge? I just don’t get it. They charge $35 for carnitas, why not just charge $36.50?

1 Like

Chaumont croissants are as good as ever. They also opened a vegan bakery next door but I’ll stick to the buttered side!

11 Likes

I can’t speak for this restaurant in particular, but there are a few possibilities. Some restaurants pay a variable rent portion based on gross sales. In that case, a delineated healthcare charge can be separated from gross food & beverage sales. There’s also a tax issue at hand. If the healthcare charge is optional (some places say that you can request the charge be removed), then it is not necessarily taxable. Whereas if a healthcare charge is mandatory, then it is definitely taxable. There are lots of games that restaurants play. I do agree that the healthcare charge trend is getting out of hand, and it does bug me. I generally just end up subtracting it out of my tip.

2 Likes

Mushroom Birria and Chile Relleno from Bar Ama

Hopefully soon I can stop by and enjoy the Birria at Bar Ama with a beer. Btw this is me transferring some birria to a smaller container, not the actual serving size.

IMG_2520

IMG_2519

IMG_2517

IMG_2516

Fat and Flour

Strawberry Shortcake - Please go get this. Seems like they go live around noon. The biscuit was crazy fresh. I would have loved more whipped cream but I always want more
whipped cream.

IMG_2527

Banana Pudding - I ate half of this all mixed up and half respecting the three-layer divide. total bliss

IMG_2523

IMG_2525

IMG_2526

Salted Caramel Apple handpie - Just yeah. This was still hot when I picked it up.

IMG_2522

11 Likes

ROW on Harbor having a grand opening event tomorrow. Looks like a Peruvian place opened as well…

3 Likes

Menya Tigre (Sawtelle Japantown): The curry here has a really nice gentle-yet-funky soul. Really liked my bowl. The ebi tempura were colossal, and went perfectly with the noodles.

8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: June 2021 Rundown