April Weekend Rundown (2016)

I don’t mean to be a pest. But I kept thinking about your experience. I’ve never had the Chicken & Waffles. Because there are so few places for good fried chicken, I assumed I would have heard if theirs was good… Just my logic. And I agree about the biscuits.

But I implore you to try this.
Shrimp & Cheesy Grits

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

No no, not at all. :slight_smile: Thanks for the rec on the Shrimp & Grits. I’ll definitely try it next time. And it looks delicious and way more ample than the tiny tiny strips of Chicken they gave on our order LOL. Thanks! :slight_smile:

@Chowseeker1999 - That was laughable. Excuse grammar/spelling - I was rushing.

Definitely not cooked in wok.

But possibly coated in oil after precook process to prevent sticking together.

It’s the weekend, right? Knuckle & Claw drops surprise second location in Santa Monica. Eater LA: Knuckle & Claw Drops Surprise Second Lobster Roll Shack in Santa Monica Today - Eater LA

I stopped in, great lobster roll. Pricey at $20 but top notch if you’re craving them:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEy-tBTA-ti/

Former French Garden Cafe spot on Main Street.

Edit: Gratuitous shot of K&C food from two weekends ago (so still technically kosher for this thread) at the Women Chefs and Restaurateurs national conference kickoff party on Sunday, April 17th:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEVMOdng-mv/

4 Likes

I almost went today after the eater story popped but got slammed at work.
Did I want a lobster roll? Of course I did. But I admit an ulterior motive:
I just KNEW @theoffalo would be there.

LOL. You have my number, send me a text. Haven’t grabbed a meal with you in quite some time!

1 Like

I would have if i had gone.

@theoffalo - Looks great. You gotta’ look at the whole lobster rolls are expensive hoopla like this: If it were in a fancy restaurant and not on a hotdog bun it would be 2 times as much money… So enjoy!

I understand. At the same time, if I could get a 3 handroll set from Kiriko at lunch for $15, versus this $20 lobster roll that I’d probably need two of to be full, it’s not a hard decision. Like I said, though, if you’re hankering for a quality lobster roll, this one will do it for you!

1 Like

Not going out much this month, but this is happening…

13 Likes

Shake Shack had fallen off my radar after the hype died down. However, my husband wanted to get a meal there to celebrate the release of his new comic book. We arrived 15 minutes before they opened, and there were about a dozen people in line already. After they opened, the line was very brisk; it only took a few minutes to place our order.

The 'Shroom Burger was the ideal fast food burger for me: juicy, “mushroom-forward,” crispy, and oozing with molten muenster and cheddar cheese. The bun was pleasantly squishy. The fries were the standard, industrial crinkle cut variety. The Rainbow Connection, a vanilla custard with Cofax donut crumbles, Sqirl strawberry and rose geranium jam, and sprinkles was too sweet for me, but I was expecting that. The strawberry jam cut through the overwhelming sweetness, but my husband’s Shark Attack concrete was my favorite. It was on the bittersweet side with generous chunks of Compartes dark chocolate.

My husband enjoyed his Roadside Double, but felt that two patties was a bit excessive. According to him, the burger was in the vein of Five Guys. Overall, he ended up preferring In-N-Out Burger. I’m going with Shake Shack because they’re vegetarian-friendly, but I won’t be returning any time soon. At the moment, I’m just waiting for the onset of diabetes after this extra decadent meal.

8 Likes

Huh I low carbed it the other night with an original Shackburger, and found that this was the beefiest “fast food” burger I’ve ever had. That cheese sauce for the cheese fries were delightful…it would make some excellent mac & cheese. The lemonade special of the month was quite good, too…blackberry mint lemonade…add your own rum for more fun.

2 Likes

Went to Lake Elsinore for a fundraising festival, put on to earn money for a new Cambodian Buddhist Temple.
This place was really isolated in the back mountains.

Pics aren’t so good, but the food was.
Grilled beef sticks, sticky rice, battered fried bananas, and papaya salad made to order. This stuff was pungent with fish sauce and super spicy. The lady would ask you how many chiles you wanted as she pounded away with the mortal and pestle.

6 Likes

##Union
The pasta was so black paula deen wants it to be a server at her wedding

##Howlin Ray’s
What came first the Nashville hot chicken or the waffle? Is it normal for your insides to feel like molten lava? #askingforafriend #feelthebern #socluckinghot :fire: :chicken: :fire: :poop:

##Raku

7 Likes

KAGURA

First time here. We basically ordered everything from JGold’s recent review.

Shishito Peppers (half-eaten)
The bonito flake shavings (I think?) went well with the peppers. Sauce was nice, if a touch sweet.

Agedashi Mochi
The mochi ball turned into a slimey sludge, in a good way, and I was glad to have had it. Though, I don’t know that I’ll be rushing to order it again.

Millefeuille Katsu Gozen
Holy lord this was Taste City, Utah. Really great. Loved the mustard, and it was nice with the gozen sauce that you self-grind with sesame seeds. We ate most of it before I remembered to take a picture.

Kinoko Kama-meshi
Basically rice and mushrooms that gets slow cooked together. This was definitely worth the 40 minutes that it takes to cook on your table. Below is a before and after. So comforting and tasty. I could have had three more bowls.

DISNEYLAND

Surprisingly solid and not super pricey chicken sandwich (with pickled onions, tempura green beans, lettuce, wasabi aioli). Not even from a specialty place. It was one of the main options at the main restaurant in Tomorrow Land. Not bad.

CHARGA HOUSE

First time at this new ish place in Culver City that has a separate thread. The owner was really nice and asked if the food was too spicy cause he’d heard that it might be. I told him “NAH BRO YOU DO YOU.” The interior is definitely bare bones but if you’re in the area, stop on by.

Charga Whole Chicken
“Whole chicken marinated with our special spices and BBQ special Dasi style in Tandoori oven.”

Qeema Parata
“Flat leavened bread stuffed with ground beef and fried in vegetable oil.”

5 Likes

Awesome

1 Like

Went to Casablanca in Venice. Has been there 40 years and is stuck in a wonderful time warp. Was surprised they were packed with a wait! Great fresh tortillas and calamari steak, and very enjoyable.

3 Likes

Bacon Pizza GTA (Gjelina Take Away)

7 Likes

In case some of you have yet to go, I’m not gonna ruin your experience by giving away any spoilers from the fantastic wolvesmouth:taxa dinner at MOCA. But do go. Chef Craig Thornton & team always delivers a great time. I think tickets for June/July ($225pp) some dinners are still available online…

Shunji-san is now serving up suppon (soft-shelled turtle) from Japan 3 ways: Turtle eggs in turtle blood & sake, steamed kimo (liver), and turtle aspic. Great stuff! But the season is short, so make haste if you wanna catch it…

4 Likes