August 2020 Rundown

I’m sure it was tasty, but the pasta color + the ridge make it look… not like pasta at first glance. :wink:

7 Likes

Yum!

7 Likes

Yup, pretty much. :wink:

3 Likes

Looks like maggots

2 Likes

Green silk worms?

3 Likes

After Langer’s yesterday, I needed to ground myself. Pizza Wagon today!

PEPPERONI CUP PIE

PESTO

More in the Pizza Thread

10 Likes

It all looks great. But did I just read that you mail-ordered sake?

1 Like

That’s what I fed my pet chameleons.

FTC = Feed That Chameleon (some Southern Italian pasta)

2 Likes

Has anybody ever had Stella Jean ice cream? SD scoop shop that just opened up in Costa Mesa.

They have some interesting flavors like Mango Sticky Rice, Ube and Pandesal Toffee and Matcha Pistachio.

It’s lobsta night, b!tches.

10 Likes

Sorry for the delay in the follow up! Was having internet issues. Sorry, but we will not be competing in the re-plating contest!

Menu was…

Brioche, lobster coral butter (not pictured b/c the photo didn’t come out very well)

Amuse-bouche of lobster jelly, panna cotta au maïs, and caviar

Lobster salad, napa cabbage, radicchio, necetarine, crispy wonton

Lobster risotto, sweet corn, and sauce homardine

Calabrian chili roastere lobster, summer vegetables, chantarelles, tomato-lobster broth

Summer plum tart, whipped blond chocolate, and marcarpone

Overall, it was great. Coral butter (had to look it up to see what that was) had a whisper of oceanic funk and maybe something acidic? We slathered on the brioche, toasted the brioche, and then slathered on some more butter “fresh.” Yum.

The jelly is INTENSELY flavored w/ lobster, and the panna cotta has a subtle savory flavor (the corn, I suppose)? Nice saline hit from the caviar.

I’m not overly fond of radicchio, but it was fine in the salad, and there was plenty of claw meat.

The risotto recommended microwaving (!!!), which we, um, did. But we only did 1.5 times (not the recommended 3-4 times). Not sure what the claw meat was like b/f the microwave, but it was VERY fragile and falling apart after one round of microwaving. Taste of the meat was good, but it was a bit… soft. Risotto was very al dente, which I really enjoyed (partner wished it was softer). Not very creamy, which, again, I was fine w/. BTW, the pic was taken after I ate half of the dish. :slight_smile:

Roasted lobster didn’t taste much of calabrian chili, but no matter. We only warmed it for 3 mins (recommended 3-5), and it was lukewarm. So make sure it’s completely warmed through, if you order. The large piece of pasta are REALLY al dente (perhaps overly so). Lobster was nice and springy, the vegetables, particularly the zucchini) were delicious, and chanterelle mushrooms were AMAZING. And the carrots were incredibly… sweet. That was a bit odd (but still lovely).

The dessert is beautiful (note the curled slices of plum). The chocolate sauce was quite runny but tasty enough. The crust is really quite incredible. It just BARELY holds its shape and breaks apart at the slight touch (not need to saw through the crust here).

We were quite pleased overall w/ the meal.

12 Likes

Went to Papilles to purchase some $10 cloth face masks manufactured in France (accordion pleats, reversible and with mini French flag :fr: insignia).

Decided to also try their “For The Win” fried chicken sando on Martin’s potato bun with fries and had Topo Chico Mexican sparkling water for the first time. Simple meal, but it was sooooo nice to eat fried chicken and fries immediately after being cooked on the spot rather than taking it to go.

13 Likes

KATSU SANDO In Chinatown

CLASSIC PORK KATSU
So juicy. Damn good.

CHICKEN KATSU SANDWICH

This was for the “Kid” who chose this place for lunch.

The wagyu curry is awesome! I had to dump some on the rice!

CURRY CHIZU WAFFLE FRIES

17 Likes

Did the crust remain decently crunchy?

It sat in the container for about 20 minutes before we ate.

I can’t speak to the sandwich, but the pork katsu was perfectly crispy. The only sign that it sat in a takeout container was that the breading came off as I bit into some of the pieces. Minor. It was great!

3 Likes

who’s the chef at Papilles now? I haven’t been since Chef Tim left.

That was my experience when I got the Chicken Katsu. Mine hung around in the container for about 45 minutes. :confused: But the nice thing about Katsu Sando is that they do a THICK crust. So even if the breading fell off a bit… it was still nice and crunchy.

1 Like

Right! I should have taken a photo of a solo piece to show the meat to breading ratio.

I really liked it. What did you think of yours?

I really liked it! I posted about it here:

You can see the THICK breading on the Shrimp Sando pic and how the breading steamed off in the Katsu bowl. For the price… it was HUGE. Tons of pickles. The rice they use is excellent. Next time I’ll just get the Katsu Plate and a side of the Waygu Curry… Look forward to trying that!

–Dommy!

1 Like