Badmaash Fairfax

going tonight, anyone have any suggestions from their downtown menu? I’ve never been.

1 Like

I have had some really good meals at BM DTLA (and some not so good).
Crispy Yogurt Puffs, and Samosas, and butter chicken have all been good.
The traditional stuff is really nice when they are on their game (Sag panner, Tikka masal)
Loved the Lamb burger too.
I had scrawny lamb chops once that were a big rip-off - but probably during opening week they won’t be skimping on high quality protiens.

yaaaay. i’ll make my Sikh friend take us there.

Ok so went opening night with my buddy, really nice location with a great view of the Canter’s neon across the street. Cool inviting buildout inside.

Butter Chicken Samosoas
South Indian Fish Moilee (not pictured) (awesome Coconut flavor)
Spiced Mango Pork Belly (tasty)
Ghost Chili Lamb Vindaloo (my favorite, nice and spicy great flavor)
2 orders naan
rice

Overall really enjoyed this meal, this is definitely elevated Indian with a little bit more complexity of flavors than your traditional Indian. Service on point and friendly especially for opening night.

Only issue is this place is damn expensive and pretty small servings…it was $100 out the door for two people, no drinks. All that said, I will definitely be back…want to try the lamb burger(which wasnt on menu yet)

5 Likes

Thanks for the report… Expected that given the pricing at Sweet Chick

1 Like

Loved the samosas, chicken tikka poutine, chili cheese naan, and lamb burger. Basically all the less traditional stuff :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks @skramzlife -

This opening makes me happy. I’ve been wanting to try the DTLA locale but kept having near misses. Now it’s in my ‘hood!

I was under the impression that part of the love was the deliciousness at a sweet price - that does seem a little high without drinks. L.A.!

:india: :stew: :yum:

The food at Badmaash DTLA is better than your average Indian restaurant that doesn’t get mostly Indian customers, and they have a superior selection of wine and beer, but it’s not cheap. Samosas $4 each, lamb chops $26, meat curries $14-18.

1 Like

Agree 100%.
Would add it is a little more inventive than average. But not much.

1 Like

I don’t know that they’re inventive at all. They’re more focused (no “choose your protein” crap), less Americanized, and to the extent some dishes are Americanized, it’s in a more interesting and thoughtful way.

1 Like

you’re right
I am so tired of seeing chicken tikka poutine, chili cheese naan and lamb burgers on all the other uninventive Indian menus.

4 Likes

A few of the Americanized dishes are inventive, true. Damn, now I’m craving kheema pav.

And the Canadianized.

2 Likes

Really loved it last night. In our group there was a Sri Lankan girl and an Indian from New Delhi and all loved it. Owners and staff were sweet as hell and sang the song of the Nemroz a full hour after closing time. Rad

1 Like

What should we order today

Lamb burgers.

Yea, lamb burger I’ve yet to try…The one thing we didn’t get to order today but I had to let a friend from delhi order for us . I did get to pick the fire hot lamb vindaloo. Their daal makhni is amazing and he says best he’s had away from home

My girl loved the butter chicken as suspected

4 Likes

Badmaash on Fairfax - the Punjab by way of Canada and fitting right into L.A.’s Hipster Hood. Welcome

Lassi & Beer

Creamy, refreshing, tart, sweet Lassi. I polished it off. :relaxed:

Fort Port Co. Westfalia, Nuremberg Inspired Red Ale

I do not know enough to explain “Nuremberg Inspired”, but this is a smooth, caramel-hinted, malty ale, with neither the astringency of pale ale or spiciness of the IPA.

Masala Potato Fries w/Paprika Spiced Mayo & 5 Pepper Hot Sauce “Boss Sauce”

You have to request the “Boss Sauce”. These crispy things earned a spot on the French Fry thread! :hearts:

Badmaash Fried Chicken - Spice-batter, Double-fried, Dusted w/Paprika Masala, Side of Serrano Cream

The boneless pieces didn’t survive the double-fry, imo. It has some moistness but also some stringiness. Flavors were ok. :frowning: Cream sauce has back-heat from the serrano.

Tandoori Naan

Hot, fresh-to-order, lightly slathered w/ghee. Let the scooping & sopping begin!

Butter Chicken (murgh makhani) - 48hr Marinade in Yogurt & Spices, Tandoor Charred, Sauced w/Creamy, Tomato, Fenugreek Spiced Curry

You can see a little pop of melty, buttery ooze in the middle, just in case you forgot what you ordered. :wink: Idk if this lives up to your favorite at Amber India @CeleryVictor but ignorance is bliss and we thoroughly enjoyed it. :blush:

More goodness to be had. This menu speaks group dinner!

I’ve seen mention of the flavors or spices being muted. I think that means not enough heat - the flavors are not muted. If you prefer extra heat or some pickled sweet, order sides of the chutneys & hot sauces (boss sauce has ghost & serrano peppers :fire:). Letting folks add their own spice level attracts more customers, and charging for it cuts down on waste - smart biz move for the area.

I spied this @beefnoguy. Would love to know what type of Sake goes with Indian food!

Service was great. Badmaash is an unexpected treat.

10 Likes

Approach it similarly like you would a Riesling or Gewürztraminer. High acidity, good structure, low polished. You could do a nigori sake, or a bolder Muroka Nama Genshu (eg some of the portfolio of Fifth Taste). Den Sake Brewery might work, and that Harada Muroka Nama Genshu Junmai Ginjo I spotted from Domaine LA.

1 Like