Best bread in SFV?

It’s in Agoura but worth the extra drive.

Abby’s Millstone Bakery.

http://www.abbysmillstone.com

I just discovered this thread after moving to Woodland Hills last month. Looked up Abbey’s and I see it closed last year. Any new spots you recommend for great, crusty bread?

There are branches of Le Pain Quotidienne in Sherman Oaks and Encino. And you can get great ciabatta at Il Fornaio in Woodland Hills.

I discovered Pascal’s Patisserie and Cafe in Woodland Hills has a a wonderful, soft crumb, crusty baguette that they heat up for you before handing it over. It’s soft enough to use for sandwich bread, which they do in the cafe.

It’s worth the $5, though I did wince when I saw that price. That’s Gjusta prices. Was surprised to see it in an off the Boulevard cafe in the deep valley.

Anybody with good pies up there?

Republic of Pie was pretty decent, though I felt it was overpriced unless you’re just paying for the time to sit there for a long time.

There’s the Sweet Lady Jane in Encino which is not bad though not as good as the one over the hill.

I’ve heard Belwood Bakery is decent, but I’ve never been personally. Had a couple of different slices years ago at Four N 20, I didn’t really get what people liked about it. I felt like it was just a tad better than Marie Callender’s.

I’ve had some really good pies that were from various women who baked in their house south of the boulevard, but the prices were out of my reach, like $80/pie.

1 Like

+1 Republic of Pie and +20 on it being overpriced.

The “Kid” had to have a “birthday pie” and we were nearby. So a whole pie to go. It was indeed good, but $30 and maybe a tad bigger than a Marie Callender’s.

I realized I totally spaced about my favorite pie in the SFV, the peach mango pie at Jollibee, which I posted about in the November 2019 Rundown - #26 by joy

2 Likes

Wow, those are some poor options. There are 2 million people in there uninterested in pie?

I can send you my recipe…

5 Likes

Has anybody ever eaten at Creme Caramel? It’s been on my list to try for a few years but I’m almost never in the neighborhood. Also, I’m sure pie purists would take exception to the form of their “upside down” pie but if the pickings really are that thin…

1 Like

Lodge bread - woodland hills
20929 Ventura Blvd #22, Woodland Hills, CA 91364
open 8-4
Amazing bread

I’m good at pies, but already making everything else and wanted people to pick up pie in the valley… slim pickins

1 Like

That explains it. I know you are a great cook.

I’ve had their mini individual pies. The ube and buko pandan are pretty good, not too sweet. It’s more of a soft custard, not more dense like a flan.

1 Like

Yours looks amazing. I haven’t done closed pies yet.

1 Like

Thanks! Maybe we should do a pie thread on Home Cooking.

1 Like

more of a soft custard, not more dense like a flan.

That totally sounds up my alley. Thanks for description!

1 Like

Yep, for various reason, I feel like dessert is not that sustainable in Los Angeles or the Valley (too many instagram models/actors/whatever watching their figures). Especially in the SFV, the only time you get options is if its currently trendy, so you have options now if you want ice cream.

1 Like