Best of LA for the budget-minded among us

Hey @paranoidgarliclover – We stopped into Gelson’s in SaMo while we were in the area recently to try out that special you mentioned, but the closest thing we could find was a full sandwich with two sides for $9.99. That worked out fine though, as my wife and I were splitting it, so it was basically like two small meals for $5 each. After I had the deli guy make our sandwich, I found out I could’ve had him add avacado for free, which I’d skipped because I assumed it would cost extra, so next time I’ll probably get a sandwich with avo on it.

Anyway, both the sandwich and the sides were very tasty–the pesto pasta was particularly good I thought–and it was just the right amount of food for lunch for the two of us, so I’m chalking it up as another good recommendation from this thread!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was also brought to GELSONS because of this thread.

1 Like

@Neekoman and @Ns1: I don’t think the menu lists a half sandwich option at the Century City or Encino Gelson’s, either.

However, Century City will spontaneously ask you if you want a half sandwich; at the Encino, I have to specify it (and I never knew they even offered it until I was telling one of the employees that a full sandwich was too big; she said, “You can order a half sandwich”).

Next time you’re there, specifically ask for a half sandwich + 2 sides (or even just call the deli to save a trip) to see if they’ll do it. I’ve never been to the SaMo one (I didn’t even know they had one there!), but I’m 99% sure it’ll work. :slight_smile: Let us know!

Edit: basically, the half sandwich + 2 sides is an “off menu” item.

If they have a grill back there, you can also ask them to grill the sandwich (they don’t have a grill at the Century City one). :smiley:

1 Like

MacArthur Park Vendor, a very simple snack of bread with black beans. One of the best things I eaten, those beans were so good. I think it was $2-3.

3 Likes

Another MacArthur Park Vendor, corn soup, sweet and comforting

2 Likes

Is this the first time that the words “Gelson’s” and “budget-minded” have been seen in such close proximity?

3 Likes

hey there annoying:
if u cop my stuff you gotta pay.

1 Like

Whoops–did you make the same hilarious joke upthread somewhere?

i buy many items from gelson’s because they are cheaper there than at ralph’s

May I have a list of these bargains?

no harm no foul.

(Though even after looking now I’m unable to find it.)

oh i was just being a ass because
posted something along your lines about whole foods the other day.

consider me a child spoilt for attention; ill go away out of spite and boredom eventually.

1 Like

I can see how you’d want to be protective of an original utterance of that nature.

2 Likes

The always refreshing cup o’ fruit, at parks and corners near you. $5

too many to name,
but NONE of them are meat nor poultry.
so if you avoid those departments, and you know your prices, you will find stuff.

my two favorites are the santa cruz organic dark roasted peanut butter
and
when they have the silver palate pasta sauce on deep sale (~$3)

2 Likes

Westsidegal -

They are too far from me for every day stuff but -

Their lobster sales are awesome.

good to know!

Thank you.

Gelson’s has an excellent selection of quality produce; while they aren’t cheap they are competitive. I can usually get items like frizee and baby artichokes I can’t find elsewhere. They do a Hatch green chile roast every year, and their prices are much better than Bristol Farms, https://www.gelsons.com/blog/Hatch-Chile-Roasting-Coming-to-Gelson’s.