Bracero - very disappointing

Finally made it to Bracero and had a completely different experience from you. Service was good. Food was quite good with two dishes (bacalao tostada and bone marrow and shrimp sope) outstanding and some of the best food I’ve had in San Diego. I agree the tacos were okay, nothing special and there were some misses like the albacore two ways but all in all a very good meal and absolutely something different for sd (although there was a short rib dish on the menu).

Was in response to Honkman’s initial post

Agree heartily about the bone marrow and shrimp sopes. Sooo good!

When we had the two way fish dish, it was not Albacore, but Hamachi (yellowtail) Two Ways, and thought it was sublime. Everything seemed to work in harmony together yet the individual components (even the eggplant) stood out and was all brought together by the burnt onion crema.

1 Like

Hoping to make it back here before restaurant week ends!

Another very tasty trip to Bracero, lunch this time. Ceviche tostadas were good, Birria was excellent, fideo was very good and chilaquiles were meh. 3 of 4 salsas are great. Service was fine and patio was nice.

Very interesting and well written article about Javier Plascencia’s food empire from Eater’s roving food critic, Bill Addison.

What Difference Does a Border Make?

1 Like

The New Yorker article from 2012 is also very good. Long, but a good read

1 Like

Yes, you posted a link to this article somewhere else before. It’s a very good read as well.

I’ve also heard rumor that there is some sort of event afoot in November of this year, in SD, featuring Javier, Enrique Olvera, Rick Bayless and Michael Pollan. Something about sustainable food systems?

Whatever the event, I’d like to attend.

And…the annual Spirit of Baja wine-pairing dinner, with Plascencia at the helm, is taking place at the Westgate this Friday.

Are you going?

Yes.

Excellent. Please report back on how it was

A post was split to a new topic: The Spirit of Baja wine pairing dinner (with Chef Placentia)

It appears that Mr Plascencia is making a big change. From Candice Woo at Eater:

So what’s the dirt?

Deckie!!
Where you been…big house?
:classical_building:

Can’t sneak anything by you anymore…Plums. Yep, coming up to the end of my 4-to-40 sentence for grand larceny - booze. You know how it is…old bartenders never change. Taa, see you at the foot of Kolmar St.

1 Like

Went to Bracero to for an evening dinner (a couple of weeks ago, before the chef-change announcement). We had a reservation for around 7:30 on a Thursday and it was only moderately busy until about 8:30. One thing I noticed immediately is that the tacos were absent from the menu. I inquired and was told they were being removed from dinner service but they would happily make some for me (I declined). I loved the tacos there, they were fantastic and at a price point similar to Galaxy/City Tacos. I assume too many were being ordered instead of higher $$$ items. I asked it they would still be available at the bar, but it sounds like they will only be at lunch and possibly happy hour.

We tried several small plates and appetizers and had a few cocktails this time instead of Mexican wine. Service was just ok, dishes were brought out fairly quickly. Our dinner was excellent (items that everyone has had so I will not bother reviewing: wood grilled octopus, sopes, squash in mole). I will say the Perfect Egg dish was amazing. A perfectly cooked egg (duh) with beef tartare served with padron peppers over a velvety potato puree, sublime in texture and flavor. I tried to ignore that I paid $14 for a single egg and spoonful of raw beef haha.

1 Like

Don’t let the blonde hair fool you. .
Wow Deck, for an old bartender, you sure have done well for yourself, St. Regis Bora Bora for honeymoon, scoring a younger chick. .impressive bruddha, impressive!

My Mensa brain is trying to figure out the ‘See you at the foot of Kolmar St’ comment…

Windnsea…Su Casa is Playa del Norte…which btw, looks like its gonna be torn down for a mixed use, 3 story with underground parking, 3820 retail sf on first level.
:frowning2: