California SOUL - The Delightful Comfort Food of Alta Adams - Grand Opening [Thoughts + Pics]

Yes both chef sergio and master chef sergio were in the kitchen cooking.

2 Likes

That’s a bad sign.

Just a loving fyi. Grits “were” not “was.”

fixed, thanks.

I wonder if the under-seasoning was intentional to try and be “healthier.”

I was thinking that too. Salt is the enemy of the black man. I really appreciate that but you gotta’ up the flavor in other ways - aromatics, herbs, spices, heat.

1 Like

Traditional soul food often has way too much salt but there’s no reason to overreact and underseason things.

https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/advan.00070.2018

nice. right by delicious pizza … and that new cafe.

Honest soul food for everyone in LA. With entrees in the $20’s, and a complete meal possibly setting you back around $30 to 40, you wonder who are the “everyone” who can afford to eat here regularly or oven on occasion?

1 Like

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks for the link. Interesting. I thought most of the dishes during our meal was very good and not “too light” or “too healthy” - The Black Eye Pea Fritters were perfectly seasoned and piping hot (and the herbed dipping sauce was fine). The Candied Yams (you also liked).

The Pig Foot Salad was definitely on point and nicely seasoned. The Kale Avocado Grapefruit Salad was too tart and piquant.

Collard Greens, Red Beans & Rice were really fine as well (not bland or too light).

The Oxtails & Rice was lighter, but definitely had enough salt with the amount of Gravy we got (that was missing in your dish).

I’m hoping the visit you had was the fluke (but still not right to have you experience that). But we’ll see as more visits / reports come in.

2 Likes

Either way, I’ve been to too many funerals for black men in their fifties who died from hypertension and other related maladies. Ones who did not, nor their parents, nor their grandparents - as the article suggests - “receive less and lower quality healthcare than do Caucasians”, and despite a push in the black community to change the plate by adding more fruits, vegetables, grains and lean meats. I stand by my comment. It’s a problem. But… you’re right - no need to overreact - taste should not be sacrificed. :slight_smile:

Can we go back to having fun now?

3 Likes

The same “everyone” that go on occasion to all the other popular LA resaturants that are in the exact same price range?

I’m not trying to say that poverty doesn’t exist in LA or that the menu pricing matches what the local residents can afford, but there are plenty of LA restaurants at a similar (or much higher) price point that seem to be pretty successful…

4 Likes

It’s not just poverty, but for many, they don’t have the luxury to spend this much on a meal.

2 Likes

Everything in moderation including moderation. I’m a white female rather than a black male but also grew up eating those dishes and now thoroughly enjoy them once or twice a year. And not for health reason but because there are so many wonderful things to eat. Those pea fritters are, IMO, an abomination but then Daddy said “if you die before me, I’m not going to bury you but just have you stuffed with black eyed peas.”)

I hear what you’re sayin’. But it’s a thin line between observation and condescension when it comes to this subject and some get touchy about it. Guilty!

I remember reading an article on Eater LA about Highly Likely opening on Jefferson. Some commenters wrote that it wasn’t destination worthy, because that type of food (grain bowls and such) were already being served at a lot of spots on the Westside. One commenter replied (paraphrasing) “Ummm, did you ever think they might be opening it for people who actually live in that neighborhood?” :kissing_heart: It’s been a success as far as I can see. Definitely, a riskier proposition, but probably more fulfilling when it succeeds. Yes, there are folks who won’t pay those prices and some only occasionally, but there are also young singles in that “$40K median” statistic who are craving local places like this. If the food stays consistent (which seems to be a problem) I don’t see why Alta Adams and Adams Coffee Shop shouldn’t do just as well. But the food will definitely have to be on point.

Happy Eating!

7 Likes

With all respect, I don’t understand what that means. Do people who make $40k (I assume that’s per year) in LA actually justify going out to dinner ever? … Just found this: " An individual earning $50,500 or less qualifies under HUD’s new threshold. The median income in Los Angeles County is now $64,300, according to a new estimate released by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development last month.May 3, 2017

[

Low-income requirements for Los Angeles updated for 2017 - Curbed …

https://la.curbed.com/2017/5/3/.../los-angeles-affordable-housing-income-requirements
](Low-income requirements for Los Angeles updated for 2017 - Curbed LA)

The article about Alta Adams stated, in that neighborhood the “median annual household income hovers around $40,000”. It’s an average - meaning half the residents make more and half make less.

I know what “median” means.

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Neighborhood/CA/Los-Angeles/Watts-Demographics.html#IncomeFinancial

The neighborhood is not even close to Watts.

Oops, sorry.

Household Income and Average Income in West Adamstop

Median Income Under 25 $30,917
Median Income 25-44 $33,015
Median Income 45-64 $43,522
Median Income Over 65 $39,032