Calling dressing stuffing: threat or menace?

Forget the bird. Thanksgiving = stuffing, mashed potatoes and rivers of gravy.

3 Likes

“Dressing” dates back to the 1400s so predated the Victorian distaste for “stuffing,” which in the culinary sense dates back to the 1700s.

Let’s be realistic. This is the only date (Thanksgiving, ok maybe Christmas) where there is a debate as to which is more accurate and acceptable.

If on July 10 I tell people I’m hungry, I’m going to have dressing in my meal, what do you think they’re going to think I’m having? My guess is a salad

If I say I’m having stuffing, I think everyone will know what I mean.

Seems like a moot point since whatever you call it most of us see it only once a year.

1 Like

But is it inside or outside the bird?

Last year we made Stuffins. They were awesome. Although they very obviously were made outside the bird (in a pot and then baked) I agree with the name because Stuffins sound better than Dressins.

2 Likes

I make latke muffins for Chanukah. So I approve of this.

2 Likes

OMG!!! That totally sounds like my jam!!! Is there a recipe you follow?

Yep, this right here:

Latke Muffins

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

2 medium onions, chopped

2.5 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and shredded

2 jumbo eggs, lightly beaten

1 Teaspoon salt

1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease the muffin tins. Sauté the onion in oil. Salt the potatoes, wait 20:00, and press the liquid out. Combine with onions, eggs, salt and pepper. Fill the muffin tin with the mixture, smooth the tops and brush with oil. Bake about 40 minutes until brown at the edges and firm. Reheat at 375 for 15:00 or so.

1 Like

Ditto ditto and ditto. We must’ve grown up in the same house.

2 Likes

We stopped putting any bread casserole inside the bird when we realized it fucked up the cooking. But I would like to try the approach of spatchcocking the bird and putting it on top of a pile of stuffing.

2 Likes