Casual/Semi-Casual Eats in Tokyo, Spring and Summer 2023

1 Like

Thanks that’s all the way in narita though!

Has anyone used jpneazy for booking?

I didn’t; it was not recommended when I looked into it. It may work, but I stick with whatever official reservation system a restaurant specifies; that’s usually that’s Omakase or Tablecheck. Hotel concierges, no matter how nice, aren’t great ways to secure top reservations now, unfortunately, but they can get you in to other places that aren’t so in demand.

Let me get back to you a little later. You can eat all of those foods in 8 hours?? :sweat_smile: I could recommend what I’d do in 8 hours, but it doesn’t include all of those and you may have different food priorities.

2 Likes

Well I would love to hear your thoughts! Even if its not the food I highlighted.

Currently I am contemplating sushi taichi lunch or tachigui sushi akira and filling my time with other food in and around ginza and surrounding areas.

Ginza - Tokyo Food Page Restaurant Listings (bento.com)
Search this site. You can change location too.

2 Likes

I’ve used it several times to success. Never had an issue, if they cant get you the reservation you dont pay.

1 Like

Great thanks for that information.

There wasn’t anything online regarding it since pre pandemic so I wasn’t sure what the deal was

Anyone know of a good shop to buy a musk melon or other melon fruits at in ginza?

I’m looking for something akin to what Brandon go serves for hayato dinners.

In Ginza, I bought some musk melons as gifts at Ginza Sembikiya. I believe there were also some at the depachika in Ginza Mitsukoshi (but I might be getting it confused with the Nihombashi location). I’m sure that there are other shops, too, but this one was convenient for me.

At Sembikiya, there’s also a fruit parlor with snacks including a musk melon parfait (I didn’t try it).

Here’s my pic from April.

4 Likes

Great this info is :moneybag:!

Also those melon prices lol! I was hoping for like a 50 dollar melon but if I can have a slice of one that will do!

You can try the musk melon parfait for ~$20-30 ish.

1 Like

Nice that’s super reasonable.

You can try the one Tokyo Central carries for $99.0/ea.

1 Like

I’ve heard the ones here in grocery stores are generally past their expiration due to lengthy shipping and improper storage.

If I’m going to pay all that money I’m scared to get one that is a lemon

That’s not true. Generally, those in the stores here are not fully ripe yet. You leave it outside of refrigerator for few days until the bottom turns soft. Then put it in refrigerator for a day or two before you consume it. As good as Hayato’s and the one we had in Japan. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s great information, thanks for correcting my misconception.

Yes, go there. I mentioned specifically Sembikiya in an older Japan primer thread. Also agree with depachikas.

1 Like

It’s a bit on the outlier of your boundary, but my cab driver in Kyoto recommended me this Kansai-style Udon spot in Tokyo. It slapped so hard!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1066461-d3782842-Reviews-Kansai_style_Handmade_Udon_Irasshai-Taito_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

4 Likes

$69.99 now and sampling event this weekend and next.

1 Like