Changes in the LA Times Food Section

And Addison also wrote this whole roundup:

1 Like

I can’t figure what benefit the Times accrues from doing a food event like this in NYC that would justify the cost.

2 Likes

It’s awesome that they highlighted this place. I come here pretty often.

The nori roll is their “futomaki”. Why did Lucas write as if they are 2 different menu items.

WTF is California “futomaki”. It’s just California Roll.

2 Likes

Was wondering that myself as I read of all the “correspondents” and chefs they must’ve flown out.

1 Like

Yet another sushi / Tokyo followup from Addison;

Is there any tempura omakase in LA?

2 Likes

tempura endo and tempura nagomi before it got converted to sushi inaba

The custard is peak smooth and glassy. The crust is as delicate as chalk.

Sorry, what?

2 Likes

This may be the first time I’ve seen “chalk” used as a positive term for food :slight_smile:

2 Likes

She later says of the same crust

It flakes easily, disappearing into a fine powder when you take a bite.

I don’t know what kind of chalk that would be.

Here’s a new one: they collaboated with a spice vendor on a product:

1 Like

That’s different. Do other newspapers have similar colabs? I make me own (based on the recipe in Duncan Welgemoed’s book Africola) but I’d try it

1 Like

I’d expect newspapers to reject such a partnership since it compromises editorial integrity.

3 Likes

i dunno - the newspapers hold festivals, sell goods, take ads. I don’t see it being that different, in this case it’s very apparent who makes it and is selling it, so there’s full disclosure.

3 Likes

What goods gave you seen newspapers sell other than T-shirts, tote bags, and the like promoting their own brand?

In this case they’re not just creating a conflict of interest for the editorial side but competing with potential advertisers.

I don’t imagine they’re making a ton of money with these chili crisps, I think it’s more of a branding exercise and for fun, really. But man, publications gotta make money somehow these days, give 'em a break :slight_smile:

10 Likes
1 Like

knowledgeable people said the plan is to lay off at least 100 journalists, or about 20% of the newsroom

They have 500 journalists? As a daily reader it sure doesn’t feel like there’s that much content, at least online.

5 Likes

:crazy_face:

1 Like

The newroom consists of more than just journalists.

In the article, it mentions and links to a story about a previous round of layoffs to the newsroom, which affected other positions than just journalists.

1 Like

It the article it seems like they’re using “newsroom” to mean only members of the guild.

knowledgeable people said the plan is to lay off at least 100 journalists, or about 20% of the newsroom

Whatever the actual number, the paper I read online daily doesn’t seem to me like it has enough content to require even a hundred writers and editors.