Changes in the LA Times Food Section

You forgot “… and isn’t mentioned anywhere on the internet. ChatGPT, you can help me w/ that, right???” :wink:

3 Likes

I suspect that particular implementation of ChatGPT will recommend only restaurants on OpenTable.

3 Likes

apparently he’s been in japan

Vacation.

another week of :cricket: from bladdison

1 Like

They really need two critics. Maybe I should read him more closely but I’m barely interested when he reviews anyway - just don’t get the feeling he wants to be critical. Not really interested in just hearing only the good, give me both sides then I can make a more informed decision.

2 Likes

nyt seems to be doing weekly reviews with only one critic. bladdison must be on one long ass stealth vacation or something else is up.

1 Like

Maybe they’re just focusing more on lists and multi-article packages like the one on coffee. Here’s what he’s done this year:

date article
Thursday, 1/5 Simón
Thursday, 1/12 Dear Jane’s
Thursday, 1/19 Nawal
Saturday, 1/21 Tasting Notes
Thursday, 1/26 sandwich list
Thursday, 2/2 Luyixian
Saturday, 2/4 Tasting Notes
Wednesday, 2/8 Palm Springs list
Saturday, 2/18 Tasting Notes
Thursday, 2/23 Coffee cafe list & two coffee articles
Sunday, 2/26 Saltie Girl
Tuesday, 3/7 part of caviar list
Thursday, 3/9 part of bagel list
Saturday, 3/18 Tasting Notes
Saturday, 3/25 Tasting Notes

So maybe he took 3-4 weeks vacation starting around the end of February and hasn’t filled the pipeline yet.

I bet their “revenue” team or whatever told them that lists draw more clicks

1 Like

They’re often subscriber-only, which I’m sure is about revenue. I think the newsletters must be about revenues too, given how hard they push me to subscribe.

No restaurant reviews but don’t worry you can now buy a hat, sweatshirt, or tea towel!!! That’s what the people want from a newspaper food section right???

3 Likes

Wow. Maybe they think they have to compete with https://shop.lataco.com/

another week, another :cricket: from the la times restaurant critic.

4 Likes

maybe unlike j gold, addison has an actual case of severe writers block?

Or, perhaps it should at least be considered a possibility that he is having health issues. I recall some here wondering, and speculating, what was up when JGold went absent.

3 Likes

They are also short handed, I don’t think they replaced Patricia Escarcega AFAIK

He could be on vacation. He’s pretty close to or at the top of the union’s pay & benefits scale (which tops out at 21 years’ industry experience, and he started in 2002).

They hired a bunch of people since Gold died, but not another full-time reviewer. They’re producing lots of stuff other than reviews, such as a whole section of “food maps.”

This week there’s a review by Peterson.

2 Likes

Addison’s back from vacation and weighs in on the hot restaurant everyone’s been talking about.

5 Likes

Right? It feels like over the last two years the food section has devolved into a combination of clickbait lists (best fastfood xxx SoCal Countdown!!!), human interest stories only tangentially related to food, and reviews of such interesting new concepts as…a Disney restaurant. awesome.

Honestly, it feels like an editorial decision was made to change what Food section should be. and it is so boring to me.

3 Likes