Covid-19, and how to support the restaurant industry?

I went out for my first dine-in just last week. It was almost surreal, but real at the same time. It was a favorite Vietnamese pho house.

During the restaurant shutdown, I got used to eating a lot of quick food, prepared dishes from Sprouts in Bay Park, and – hot dogs. I’m still doing that. I think I’ll upgrade to brats soon.

Now it’s hard to break that habit. Instant food, at home.

Except on weekends, when my DH & I always cook up something delicious. Maybe not gourmet, but delicious.

Frankly, I’m wary of taking the trolley (here in SD) right now, which for us cuts out going to Little Italy or downtown, pretty much.

So I guess I haven’t been as supportive, patronage-wise, as I thought I would be when the freeze thawed. I’ve curiously become conditioned to dealing with things differently, like so many others.

1 Like

Note that SF already allows only outside dining.

Amazing. This will make dining an out-of-body experience in SF.

From Australia:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Random discussion of Covid-19 not specifically related to restaurants or food

Creativity blossoms in stressful times.

1 Like

Chez Panisse is suing its insurance company for denying a claim on their business interruption policy.

So now that indoor dining has once again been banned in CA,. what can be done (other than takeout/delivery & al fresco) to support the restaurant industry?

Very depressing.

Most places can’t logistically do al fresco even if they wanted and could afford to.

Having said that, more recently (yes, 9 days is “more recently” now), we’ve seen quite a few enticing outdoor restaurants in our neighborhood walks around town. Most that are open have clearly taken pains to, and actually do, look perfectly “normal”, if differently so – which is much appreciated.

Two that I’ll recommend are Costera on Harbor Island and The Prado at Balboa Park.

But winter will come, with cold, rain, and wind. What’s the plan then?

That’s what I was thinking about . Its 18 degrees out . Nothing better than sitting in a warm room being served hot drinks with a nice bowl of soup or stew next to the fire. Picture yourself outside with the ice cold wind blowing through the dining area under a canopy . Not .

Exactly. This works for some restaurants right now, but it isn’t sustainable, long-term; four-seasons.

Pretty basic, commonsense - and yet (some) people can’t seem to grasp it.

5 Likes

Apparently not…

That’s a disheartening - frightening, really - dashboard.

1 Like

Even though everything seems strange – almost surreal – right now I guess the only way we can, collectively, support the restaurant industry is to continue to patronize those with takeout, where it works for them and us, and patronize “dine in” (actually outdoors) at restaurants that have tried so hard to make their al fresco areas appealing – as we saw they were today while walking around in LJ.

Right now it’s summertime and the al fresco option, plan B, is helpful for some restaurants. I just don’t know what’s going to happen come rain, wind, and cold.

Is there a plan C?

1 Like

“Think of the one-of-a-kind, old-time stores and restaurants you would mourn if they suddenly disappeared — the waiters and waitresses who have served up your treasured taste memories for years, the shopkeepers you drive across town to see because they stock wonders you can find nowhere else.

How are they doing now? Are they managing to make ends meet in the pandemic? Have you dropped by? Have you called and asked? Is there something you could do to help?

Consider the story I’m about to tell you a plea to check in — before it’s too late, before you learn that what is irreplaceable is gone.”

2 Likes

Yeah.

1 Like

Nervous enough to stick with takeout and delivery.

2 Likes

#covidvirusapprovesthisplan
#covidvirusisalsomovingindoors

1 Like