Covid-19: Ideas and Strategies for Shopping and Cooking

Nice looks like a good spread. I ordered from County Line and all they have is location and pick up time plus order confirmation in my email.

Which I kind of enjoy as it will be a surprise.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Has anybody been to marukai or nijiya recently? What’s the rice situation like?

I don’t think there’s a shortage, when we went there was a lot of 15 lb bags of rice , from Nishiki to the more expensive ones, limit 2 per person. This was about 2 weeks ago at the Little Tokyo location (Marukai/Tokyo Central)

2 Likes

I don’t know about anyone else but I live in a great middle-class neighborhood. We have many friends on the block - I have met most of them from walking the dog. Several of us have started swapping breads, desserts, and dinners - all within a safe social distancing radius (which can I honestly say I hate! We have a three year-old two doors down who gives incredible hugs, and now we can’t do that). In these turbulent times having a support community is invaluable. My neighbor adds others to his Instacart order. I bake bread for four households. I wish more of us lived closer together! I wish I could cook for you all.

9 Likes

I went to Tokyo Central on Artesia last week and they were well stocked. They had everything from Brown to Haiga to Japanese Import and even Jasmine Rice. Also a full run of Sun Noodles and Meiji Tofu.

3 Likes

I live in a diverse working class neighborhood just outside of DTLA and am happy to report the same thing. We have a neighborhood text tree (The older neighbors don’t facebook or email… but everyone has a cell phone… thanks Obama! ;)) and every week or so check on everyone. We have coolers on our porches for drop off. Venmo for pay backs. Lots of notices of cuttings for gardens or cooking…

8 Likes

Note that some of the links are run together. Lots of interesting sources that are new to me.

2 Likes

Great list! I see that Market Hall Foods from where I just obtained my favorite and hard to find brand of olive oil is on the list.

Never heard of any of the spice purveyors, but will check them out. I obtained some smoked mushroom powder from Birdie G’s, a local L.A. restaurant (had no idea what one did with smoked mushroom powder, but it sounded intriguing), and boy did that jazz up the omelet I made yesterday. Bring on the spices.

Oh my, just ordered “single origin” turmeric from the Bon Appetit list linked by Robert. From these people.

Never had single origin turmeric, but the website says the New York Times rated it the best turmeric ever. Sold!

1 Like
1 Like

Personally I’m pretty disconnected from the national food supply.

I like that about CSA boxes. It’s like unwrapping a present.

1 Like

Potluck when the C19 cloud is lifted.

3 Likes

We’re not ‘disconnected’ as much as you are - no CSA. But we have local ranchers and farmers.

The second CSA box I signed up for also sends a list.

Box Contents:

• 1.50 lbs Gold Oak Mandarins
  • 1 bu Red Spring Onions
  • 1 bu Yellow Carrots
  • 1 lb bu Asparagus
  • 1 bu RedBor Kale
  • 2 hd Little Gem Lettuce
1 Like

I ordered some stuff from the “2-Day Delivery” section of Costco’s web site. “Delivery currently running 14+ days. We apologize for inconvenience.” No problem since it’s all pantry staples I have enough of for a couple of weeks anyway.

Wow, I’m pretty stocked on groceries on this coast so haven’t been ordering, but I was under the misimpression that things were getting better, not worse. I guess that is not true.

I have to head out to Ralph’s today to pick up a prescription at the Ralph’s pharmacy. Haven’t been in a grocery store since the pandemic hit and not looking forward to it. I don’t want to go through the checkout line for groceries or use the self-serve grocery checkout touchscreens, so I am not going to grocery shop, but just use the separate pharmacy check-out. When I was there just before the lockdown, I was furious because they made me use the pharmacy touchscreen to decline a consult with the pharmacist and wouldn’t budge on me not doing it. I tried with gloves on but it wouldn’t read. I was furious. I hope that over a month later that they have dispensed with that idiocy. Last time I was there, I paid cash for my prescription and told them to keep the change because I didn’t want to deal with getting cash back from the pharmacy tech and I am going to do the same today.

Trader Joe’s is fully stocked these days. I’m amazed.

(At least mine is)

I think Sundays have to be the worst day of the week to schedule deliveries.

No threat whatsoever so long as you sanitize or wash your hands afterwards.

Even if you didn’t the touchscreen is a negligible threat compared with being indoors with a lot of strangers.

1 Like