COVID-19 LA Discussion | Will you continue to order takeout or delivery as the COVID-19 pandemic spreads in LA?

It’s tough. While we want our local business to stay alive, so do we want our fellow citizens. So an empty restaurant is bad/good.

I had no idea there was a Wellington Square FM. How is it? I’ve been scooting down San Vicente/Burton Way to the Bev Hills FM. It’s small but has some good vendors.

The BH farmers market has some top notch stuff. But Wellington Square is a little gem! Great produce and fruit vendors. A smattering of flea market type vendors, but all good stuff. It’s loving curated by neighbors so they keep the program fresh and very family friendly. It’s Sunday Mornings a great option for us since Mar Vista is a bit of a Shlep now even though we are in Mid City already on Sunday Early Mornings…

https://www.instagram.com/wellingtonsquarefarmersmarket/

2 Likes

Cool! I will check it out.

1 Like

Just received an email from The Bellwether. They are offering 10% off curbside pickup.

2 Likes
1 Like

Out of curiosity: how do the flatten the curve folks feel about groceries? I’ve decided I have to be prepared to start cooking more because the flatten the curvers are going to push to shut society down. So I went to Whole Foods. It was a Coronavirus zoo! So many people seem to have the same concern that I have. We all gave each other Coronavirus :open_mouth:

Did the medical geniuses who came up with the flatten the curve theory consider the need to eat?

1 Like

Ralphs offers delivery.

Don’t be facetious. The goal here is to avoid the total collapse of the already decrepit American healthcare system/killing 1.5 million people/mass graves like Iran, so literally everything you can do to avoid contact with other people helps. Hopefully by Monday all that will be open is grocery stores and pharmacies, and we can start imposing a 6 foot distance waiting in line outside, limited amount of people in the store at one time (as Italy, China, South Korea, etc) have all done successfully. Really puzzled why people are being so stubborn about this.

13 Likes

Unfortunately there are currently many pictures of people celebrating St. Patricks day early in many cities in very crowded bars, restaurants- so many are doing much less than expected.
And seeing the O’Hare and DFW airport pictures (thanks to the “great” decisions at the WH) it might be good time not travel to Chicago soon as they will be the next Covid-19 breeding grounds

1 Like

Cities like Hoboken have started a curfew and restaurants are only allowed takeout. Hopefully other cities across the US will follow soon

1 Like

Our restaurants are so pedestrian here. But I have found a couple gems . Depending on the weather. Of course I will continue.

Good summary of why social distancing is so important - don’t be patient 31

2 Likes

Well, I’ve thought about it, and I’ve reached a different conclusion than you.

I don’t think the approach taken in Wuhan has been effective. I think it has been disastrous. The people have quarantined themselves for two months, destroying their economy. And they have achieved nothing for it. Once they come out of quarantine, the virus will spread again. Every country except England is on course to mimic the tragic result in Wuhan. It is going to cause an economic disaster. Far more people will suffer than if we had just left the virus run its course.

I’m resigned to the fact that I’m going to lose this battle. Time will tell who was right.

All I know is that the vegan shelves at the market is still fully stocked lol

3 Likes

It’s time to stop dining out. Not necessarily for your own sake, but for the sake of the elderly and those with preexisting conditions. Get takeout. Cook at home. Hoboken NJ just banned all dining in, restaurants may only offer takeout or drive through. Puerto Rico is on full lockdown. Let’s take precautionary actions now so that our local or state officials don’t have to force our hand.

2 Likes
1 Like

Pretty much every epidemologist around the world disagrees with your assessment. So far South Korea and China with their aggressive approach seem to do better than any other country. The possibility of reinfection is unclear yet

4 Likes

England within the last day or so that it would be backing away from the herd immunity idea.

People who are advocating social distancing also assume that most of us “will lose the battle,” as well. I think the idea is that social distancing will hopefully allow the health system to have sufficient resources to care for people when they lose.

1 Like

We should just let 40k to 280k people in Britain die? That’s not a tragic result in your book? :thinking:

We should look to Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau.