Creating Genuine, Unique Flavors with a Humble Canvas - The Delicious, Interesting Porridges and More at Porridge and Puffs [Thoughts + Pics]

I would second JKB’s canton rec, but we usually get the cha ca Thanh long there (fish w turmeric/dill); having said that you high class FTC’ers will likely be disappointed by the fish quality.

1 Like

Thanks @Ns1. I’ve been looking for a good cha ca thanh long for a while now. I went to one recommended on our old board, but it closed down a while back sadly.

I don’t know how y’all will get over the tilapia issue - VN people generally accept tilapia/basa as default for many items calling for fish.

Maybe there’s a more recent purveyor doing a higher class version of this dish…

Da Chinese wouldn’t mind it one bit…

1 Like

28 posts were split to a new topic: When did ethnic foods become “so expensive”?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: When did ethnic foods become “so expensive”?

“Top”? I don’t think I’ve heard of any of those places.

As a final point here, I don’t think her pricing is out of line when you take into account technique and cost of ingredients.

But it’s still an expensive lunch. I just priced out a bowl of porridge ($17), naked puffs ($5), and an iced coffee ($5.5), and I’m all of a sudden out $30+ for lunch. That’s an expensive lunch no matter what cuisine we are talking about.

5 Likes

Made an “RSVP” on their website, which apparently counts as an official reservation (they only take resies on Friday and Saturday).

1 Like

Preach!

With all the discussion I had to read your report again @Chowseeker1999. Your photos are really great. :stuck_out_tongue:

Perfect. :slight_smile:

I knew this was coming. :smile: I love how you love your offal and coagulated blood cubes.

Happy Porridge + Puffs Eating!

2 Likes

I can’t do better than @Chowseeker1999’s review, so I’ll just describe the flavors at play with a phrase: party in your mouth!

Loved it. Need to ask about their BYOB policy next time.

3 Likes

They have no liquor license, so it’s illegal for them to allow customers to drink alcohol.

I’m not disputing it but when did that happen? There’s a few places we go to that let us bring in beer & wine. :thinking:

Bummer Robert. Doesn’t hurt to drink less I suppose. :wink:

At at least one of those such places, they kept our wine in the kitchen to keep it hush hush.

1 Like

what’s the first rule of drink club :wink:

3 Likes

To my knowledge that’s been the law in California since Prohibition ended. Some restaurants that do not sell alcohol have liquor licenses so they can allow BYOB. If a restaurant that has no license is BYOB-friendly, it’s not cool to mention their scofflawry in a public forum.

1 Like

Okay, got it. One of our local favorites are completely comfortable with it and even open the bottles.

You can search the ABC database to see if it’s legal.

1 Like

How’s the parking situation?

Hi @TheCookie,

Definitely a challenge depending on time of day. Sometimes we find a parking spot easily (in the residential side streets), like along Occidental (where Porridge & Puffs sits), or along Glassell Street or Council Street. Definitely worth a visit if you’re in the area. :slight_smile:

1 Like