Daughter's 20th Birthday Dinner in LA with Family?

Langer’s #44

6 Likes

I think I said that! :wink:

I know!

How do you think I got two of them?

3 Likes

well you just forced me to make a rezzo…

1 Like

Sorry man. Reading comprehension fail. SAT verbal score: 790 (back in the last millennium, that is).

1 Like

That’s when you had to read more than 140 characters at a time…the dark ages…

+1 for Calvin Trillin

Get to Gjelina in Venice, just south of Santa Monica. Great California cuisine. Ask for the booth in the back corner of the patio when you book, when you confirm, and when you arrive. Very good thin-crust charred pizzas; I like the lamb sausage one. Great veggie dishes, many from the woodburning oven. Great flavors, everything served to share. Try the butterscotch pot de creme for dessert. Some star-sighting and a L.A. hip clientele. Not expensive if you stick with the smaller dishes, which are their strength.

For a breakfast/lunch, hit their very hot sister bakery/deli Gjusta, also in Venice.

For a good, casual Mexican lunch, Tacos Por Favor is in Santa Monica on the S/E corner of Olympic at 14th.

You will definitely want to see the Getty Museum complex not far away in Brentwood. Be sure to take either the garden or architecture tour. There is a popular In 'n Out nearby in Westwood Village adjacent to UCLA.

Have a great visit and report back.

2 Likes

Yes to both Gjelina (photos) and Gjusta, both wonderful!

2 Likes

For Mexican, I also like Monte Alban or Juquila and Tacos Punta Cabras.

Agree that the Getty is fantastic. Have they started Saturdays off the 405 yet for this year? That might be fun.

Breakfast Burrito today at Tacos Por Favor Venice

3 Likes

The Restaurant at The Getty is open for dinner only Saturday nights. Their brunch menu is pretty darn good too. Closed Mondays.

That BB looks nice! I’ve never had it. Great photo

2 Likes

Oh my wow!

Yes… The Getty is a great idea.

Love the Getty.

But for an out-of-towner, I think I would just visit the Getty but eat elsewhere.

Interesting. Why just visit?

Because while I like dining at the Restaurant at the Getty, if I am visiting from out of town and have a limited number of meals in SoCal that is not one of the restaurant I would want to fill up my quotient with.

Maybe have a picnic on the grounds or some light refreshments, but then drive down the hill for some more interesting grub, perhaps at Hungry Cat (Santa Monica), or even head out to Venice.

1 Like

[quote=“ipsedixit, post:38, topic:3394”]
Maybe have a picnic on the grounds or some light refreshments, but then drive down the hill for some more interesting grub
[/quote] That sounds great.

1 Like

BTW the OP posted the same query on the site which shall not be named, and has had one response in four days as opposed to here. I shall say once again that this is so much better than the decrepit corporate nonsense that it has become. I thank @robert, @ipsedixit, and everyone involved for their efforts. I could never have conducted a personal discussion on canine behavior there without drawing down the wrath of the (paid) moderators. Pardon me for growing up in the '70s - but this is so cool!

12 Likes