December 2016 Weekend Rundown

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Sweetgreen seems like my kind of place for a tasty, but healthy lunch.

Looking forward to La La Land.

Good weekend. Good report!

Hope your leg feels better!

1 Like

Looks great. The Mandarin & Black Sesame is beautiful.

1 Like

The Kettle Manhattan Beach

5 Likes

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

Seems like Walker Inn is more into presentation and the theatre aspect than actually blending good drinks. Alice Waters is a food hero of mine. But did they really serve you a cocktail with sorrel and mushrooms? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

They do a dramatic type thing when guiding you into Le Comptoir as well: Taking one couple at time thru the back door, etc. It was fun. I like the hotel too. It’s not overdone.

Another good report!

Is that french onion soup?

Yeah and a nice one too…

I keep reading that foodwise, Trois Familia is the least successful of the restaurants and collaborations. But your pictures are so good it makes the food look better than it apparently is. Good taco shout-out for vegetarians though.

1 Like

You sure know how to make food look good.

2 Likes

That’s why I’ve avoided the place. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. :slight_smile:

Hi @TheCookie,

Yah, LOL. :slight_smile:

White Sesame Seed Cocktail (Mushrooms, Thai Chili, Bourbon). It was… not that good. :stuck_out_tongue:

We were at once horrified and curious about their:

Veggie Broth Cocktail (with Olive Oil, Vodka, Green Chili). :scream:

2 Likes

Little Armenia location

Ponchik with Nutella. Freshly fried. You need to wait between 5-10 minutes for these to cool down.

5 Likes

Kinda like the space shuttle after it re-enters earth’s atmosphere…

It seems like they’re having fun just amusing themselves… and no one else. Good God!

1 Like

Love this place.

Roberta’s, fun set-up! Very festive and the Brooklyn people were really nice and happy to be in L.A.

It was very delicious $10 pizza (great sauce), but charging $3 for four paper-thin slices of pepperoni is a blatant “we’re hip, so they’ll pay” move.

Bee Sting

This would be my favorite pizza place on the Westside if they stayed.

5 Likes

Where were they? Will they be back?

at the platform

2 Likes

http://la.eater.com/2016/11/29/13776760/robertas-pizza-pop-up-culver-city-platform

December 16 Meet-up?

http://www.platformla.com/events/

Hit up Petit Trois. It’s enjoyable, but typically more so than this time around.

The Rose would lovely enough to get things rolling.

Their Simple Salad is literally just fresh lettuces dressed with a pleasantly tangy, acidic and classic vinaigrette. In the moment it hit the spot of just wanting something incredibly simple, green and leafy.

No baguettes put a damper on the meal, though. Instead, thick slices of toasted sourdough, which were good, but so crusty I actually bruised the roof of my mouth trying to take a first bite.

Steak Frites in cognac pepper sauce mostly served to showcase beautifully fried potatoes to dunk in extraordinary sauce: creamy, filled with the comforting glow of cognac while bursting with pepper, and immensely buttery. The steak itself seems to be filet instead of the old rump steak and while cooked with a crispy crust and quite blood inside, it was somehow lacking in flavor to my palate in comparison to the last time I had it, when I thought it was truly spectacular. Ironic since it seems like using a more expensive cut of meat made me feel the high price was less justified.

I forgot to snap a photo of another glass of red wine, but it was pleasant enough. Sadly, no napoleon on the dessert menu anymore. I should have ordered the off-menu lobster thermidor, which looked ridiculously awesome.

All in, $95 and change for this simple of a meal made me feel I was truly mostly paying for atmosphere, and sans-baguette that sense of atmosphere was not particularly high. Of course, food was only about $57 of that, but I still didn’t really leave super happy. I think I would have been if the steak had more flavor, though, real shame.

1 Like