December 2019 Rundown

How was the turbot? Pricey?

It was more firm compared to the flounder. Price was $164, but it was double the size of the flounder. I would only order it with a bigger party. It served my party of six decently.

1 Like

I’m at J Zhou. Somebody just ordered this 8.5 lb beauty next to us.

9 Likes

I finally went as well and it was damn good. The chicken is so tender and the chicken to bun ratio is excellent. I got the spicy, not too spicy but not weak either. 10 minute wait.

5 Likes

Yeah dude. Right on.

2 Likes

The best meatball sandwich in the OC. One of the best in all of SoCal. Lunch for $8.

6 Likes

I always have trouble choosing between that and the Rocky Balboa.

2 Likes

Ribs were great, and salad! I didn’t want coleslaw or the usual heavy sides that come with ribs, so I asked whether I could get a little pile of lettuce with some of their buttermilk ranch. Then the cook went ahead and made me an excellent side salad with all the items in the big salad. So nice!

6 Likes

Those ribs look legit, might have to try them in the near near future.

Where is this?

Spicy Niku Beef Udon at Kochi on La Cienega. Good heat from the broth, sweet beef, and udon cooked right.

1 Like

Cortinas. Sorry I thought the wrapper had the full name listed in the pic.

Thanks! Was definitely trying to read the wrapper but now i know and have it bookmarked for later consumption!

1 Like

Which location did you go to? I used to go to the Culver City one and get their lunch special, meat, roll, and one side for $11. I always got the fatty brisket, meat is pretty standard but generous portions for the price. Sides were acceptable. Last time I went a few weeks ago, the entire menu was changed, the service wasn’t as good, the sides were worse and they gave me dry brisket that looked pretty lean, they confirmed it was fatty.

Went and checked out Chilenazo in Canoga Park right next to Oi Asian Fusion, they had this ad up for a Chilean food buffet, might be a good chance to try a bunch of different things, has anyone ever done this?

Got the three churrasco sliders. Bread was awesome, super fresh, light and fluffy. Meat was decent. My favorite one of the three was the meat with cheese. The one with cold green beans and tomatoes tasted like how it sounds: something your mother would do to try to trick you into eating vegetables. The last one was covered with some tomatoes and a ton of mayo and guacamole, you couldn’t really taste the meat. It wasn’t very good, but I could see enjoying this if it was some sort of childhood memory, like Tito’s.

Tried some pie at the Horseless Carriage. Banana cream was worse than Marie Callender’s, apple was slightly better though the apples were inconsistent and some of them too tart. Neat atmosphere, it’s a bit of a time warp, might go back and try the food.

2 Likes

That is a great deal and a great lineup of options. I might end up eating pastel de choclo until I pop though. Chilenazo is great, I would expect this to be a good $22.50 investment.

1 Like

I was in Culver City. That’s too bad about your experience! I was just talking with my brother about how it’s so much better now. They went through a phase when we stopped going for the same reason, dry meat and bland sides.

I get the impression that as new cooks come and go, there’s no owner or exec to do quality control. This is true of a lot of individually owned places, even franchises.

1 Like

Torrance bang bang bang. Very similar trip @Srsly

1. Monkish triple can release
    Foggiest Window
    Gang of Four
    Smarter than Spock

1. Tendon Tempura Carlos Junior
    Tempura special plate. Highlights were the pumpkin, white fish, picked celery and the egg over rice with some tension sauce and spicy. Plenty of parking in the back. You can be in and out during lunch in under 30 minutes.

1. Patisserie Chantilly
    The sesame cream puff is one of my favorite deserts/pastries of all time. The combination of the cream with the beautifully baked crunchy puff. Can’t be beat.

12 Likes

Your picture caused me to have to go to Cortina’s yesterday :+1:

Had a Rocky Balboa and it was great. Sorry, no pic.

2 Likes

This wine is so nice though much too young

Am I doing this wrong ?

2 Likes