December 2020 Rundown

The level of Milk Bar sweetness is optimal for the pallet of an 11 year old. To the rest of us mortals, individual bites can be good, but damn it’s challenging to finish a whole item off their menu by oneself :joy:

7 Likes

Ehh

1 Like

I have a high tolerance for sugar :sweat_smile: but I stand by their cakes (albeit also with limited bites). I wasn’t a big fan of their cookies because when I starting wondering if it’s too sweet then I know others definitely think it is.

A few more things to round out 2020.

Seung Buk Dong Kalbi Jjim and Dduk Gook - ok maybe I ate the latter a few days earlier than New Years :sweat_smile:

Gjusta their menu is reduced to breakfast sandwiches and the fish plate (and of course the baguette and sourdough loaf I ordered not shown here). Still really like their fish offerings. No prime rib sandwich at the moment :frowning:

Thanks to @thecounterpart for the Spanish fish hookup!

18 Likes

This is becoming a theme. It’s about the 3rd time in month I’ve read about a Chopped Cheese and I’d never heard of it before. Hmmm… I must try.

1 Like

That looks like my favorite way to eat @NYCtoLA. What Spanish fish hookup? I want the hookup? :blush:

1 Like

@thecounterpart was selling them before the holidays, message him for his availability.

2 Likes

Ahhh… I remember. I was confused because NYCtoLA thanked T3t. :wink: Thanks!

2 Likes

Adorable photo @hanhgry.

1 Like

ROW DTLA

Looks like we were on the same migrational food path that weekend @js76wisco.

Hayato Bento Box

This is the same box we’ve had three times - the same ingredients, the same preparations. I don’t know if it was the atmosphere, the lovely day or this box just had the perfect mojo, but it hit all the right notes perfectly and was my favorite. :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Simonnet-Febvre Crémant de Bourgogne Brute Rosé / Fall Old-Fashioned - Bourbon, Bitters, Warm Spiced Cranberry Juice, Maple Syrup, Dried Cranberry

This sparkling pinot noir rosé didn’t look very rosé but it was and the fruit, the freshness & the fine bubbles went quite well with the oysters. Hubs loved the old-fashioned.

Rappahannocks & Olde Salts

They’re served shucked w/the lids placed back on top, underneath are fresh, tasty oysters, perfectly shucked. The briny Olde Salts are very good but I loved the sweet, buttery little Rappahanocks. They offer 5 interesting toppings & sauces but we went simple - Achiote Cocktail Sauce & Horseradish. :hearts:

Crispy Oysters + Lemon & Remoulade

I like lightly floured, pan-fried, not deep-fried oysters - too much coating covers up the oyster flavor, imo. But! :heart_eyes: We wolfed these down then my husband stood right up and said “I’m gettin’ more”. They’re light, crunchy, perfectly seasoned and the oyster flavor (probably the Olde Salts) came thru perfectly. :hearts:

We too almost went to Holy Basil to pickup dinner, but ROW was so pleasant that we just stayed & chilled. If you want to be out & about and safely distance too I can’t think of a more kush locale.

Happy Eating!

11 Likes

I had a Hayato bento last weekend—was that when you got it too @TheCookie? I ask because I had a similar experience being overwhelmed with how amazing it was. Maybe it was because it had been awhile, but every single bite was on point.

Though for the record, snow crab tofu was my favorite so: shrimp shinjo 4 / snow crab tofu 3

8 Likes

Agreed. Every bite was great. Maybe it’s because we haven’t been dining out much? Maybe it’s because we were sitting outside on a beautiful sunny day.

Our favorite bites were the snow crab tofu, sweet potato and scallop.

6 Likes

Hi @rlw!

Haha, no it wasn’t last weekend. My report is on the late freight… we had our bento on the 20th. :relaxed: Big thanks goes to a food talker with a quicker F5 finger than mine. One whose name I won’t mention…@PorkyBelly!

My favorite is still the Shrimp Shinjo, followed by my usuals and adding a couple of new faves to the list - the Seared Duck Breast & Dried Shiitake Nimono :hearts:… but seriously everything hit the exact right notes of care, preparation, temperature & texture.

Happy Hayato Eating!

4 Likes

Do you know if the Irvine location has the same menu and offerings as the original?

1 Like

Only Fountain Valley has the malasadas!!. Everything else should be the same (cookies, egg tarts, ensaymada, horchata)

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I mean why even open a 2nd location then? The egg tarts are still great but the warmish malasadas are the star.

2 Likes

Agree. Did you end up going? Everything is great there imo. Probably because the menu is really tight

I did not go bc I was really in the mood for malasadas. Went to B&B Donuts across the street from Costco Fullerton. They make excellent old school donuts. Particularly love the old fashion, sugar donut and apple fritter. The make small apple fritters so you can sample a few without feeling guilty for eating several donuts.

2 Likes

I love B&B Donuts. Been going to that one in Fullerton and Cerritos all my life.

If you haven’t already check out the Donut King documentary. Grab a box of donuts while watching it !

The malasadas are definitely worth it at Paderia. Be sure to get there when they open. They almost always sell out.

Speaking of donuts have you had Oliboli yet?

B&B is great. Always fresh due to the high turnover, nice aunties, lotto tickets and great prices.

Oliboli is my favorite donut in SoCal but I think you have to eat it there or on the hood of your car. I’ve taken Oliboli to go and while still very good the donuts are no where near as good fresh out of the fryer.

The Paderia malasadas are great. Only had a few times but the only place outside of Leonard’s worth the calories. Maybe I’ll take an early morning hike to grab some one weekend.

6 Likes