December 2023 Rundown

Fat + Flour Culver City is now open!!! Sergio is in the house, and the first visit was excellent.

Tea game is upped as well.

Paninos and salads on offer for lunch, too…

All I want for Christmas… (Eataly Century City)

14 Likes

Have to admit I didn’t love the pie I had way back when she was doing a pop up w/ Bludso’s, but since this location is so close, I think I will give it a whirl. Any particular slice you recommend?

1 Like

4 Likes

Chess

3 Likes

biangbiang with beef

1 Like

Which restaurants are this pic and the one in your previous post from?

Au Pied de Cochon and La Taverne De ZHAO Canal Saint Martin

4 Likes

cassoulet

3 Likes

Love the buttermilk chess pie :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Eee!!! Can’t wait!!!

You weren’t asking me, but I prefer Montreal style to all!

I miss St-Viateur. Excellent bagel.

3 Likes

St Viateur’s sells on Goldbelly if you’re hankering for one!

2 Likes

Alchemy Organica with Chef Denise Vallejo pop up last night at Jewel Restaurant in Silver Lake.

Jewel has beer/wine license and typically serves veg/vegan cuisine. Alchemy Organica is vegan and MesoAmerican in its focus. I believe it does more private catering than pop ups.

The setting was really lovely, the music was funky and at a lower level. The food was good, however expensive for the smaller portion sizing. I’m talking a $16 burrito that came with a little pot of housemade green salsa. It’s good salsa - but not like turn me away from Vallarta good.

What I did REALLY like and would order again was the fried ice cream. It was a scoop of pumpkin with with a dollop of whipped cream on top and pomegranate and pepitas. There was a delicious sharp pom sauce artfully on the plate that was especially good on the spoon with the pumpkin ice cream and crunchy fried bits and whipped cream. Pricing though - it was one scoop of friend ice cream for $11. The taste was great!

1 Like

We brought some Schwartz’s home this summer after visiting as well. That take-out line with the deli fridge is hella convenient! Loved that you can choose yourself between points vs flats and sliced vs whole

1 Like

The trendy LA bagels with long fermented dough and heirloom flours are delicious but there’s a lot to be said for the sturdy old school Montreal bagel - a little bit salty, with a trace sweetness. Not too big, chewy but not puffy and fluffy.

1 Like

My problem with Montreal bagels is the lack of salt. Texture’s great but the flavor is meh.

2 Likes

IMO part of the magic is getting them still warm from the oven at the shop. On our last visit we got some from Fairmount and the warm sesame was heads and shoulders above the all dressed baked earlier in the day

1 Like

yes, st viateur hot out of the oven rules. you know you’ve got it real fresh if the paper bag they serve you in gets all sweaty by the time you take it home. In MTL, you can get st. viateur bagels from even the grocery stores, but they usually pick the less fresh ones to be packed for sale (same goes for their goldbelly ones).

3 Likes

New brewery in Anaheim. Or rather they turned a previous place into a new location for gamecraft. I know the owners so they are having a soft opening all week.

The new location is right by the angels stadium and they got a new brewer from bottlelogic to hopefully make some cool new flavors for them.

The kitchen will come soon so for now it’s just the bar setup with food trucks out front. The picture looks meh but it tasted great lol

Kaya’s kitchen as the first food truck

8 Likes

I have a huge appetite and I daydream of eating good. I enjoyed eating lots of sushi earlier and I’m thinking of eating lots of Ribeyes at Mr. BBQ in Fullerton (I want to get my money’s worth). I should look at other places than AYCE restaurants.

What are your favorite restaurants in SoCal that you go to often? I’m closer to Orange County, though I’d love some recommendations.