Delivery chronicle

Natraliart (Jamaican)

Warrior: 7/10. I’m really starting to dig Jamaican food. We’ve ordered from Natraliart before, but I don’t remember it being this good. I liked every dish tonight. I think it is the liberal use of coconut oil that makes everything so tasty. The ackee with saltfish was not quite the best I’ve ever had, but it was very good. The curry shrimp was also better than average. Yummy food!

Peony: 7.5/10. Loved the food. Very tasty. Another wonderful experience with Jamaican food!

3 Likes

Holds up shockingly well in delivery!

Chicken Itza

Warrior: 7.5/10. Chichen Itza delivery was very good as always. The Tikin Xic, the pollo asado, the sopa de Lima, and the ceviche were all good. The one thing that disappoints me is they took their Sikil Pak off the menu.

Peony: 6.5/10. Good comforting food!

6 Likes

Tang Huo Kung Fu (KTown)

Warrior: 7/10. We’ve ordered from this Sichuan hot pot restaurant many times. It’s not very sophisticated, but I enjoy it. I crave it when I’m feeling tired—after heavy exercise or long drives, and today, after yesterday’s flu shot and covid booster. We always get the dry hot pot. (I tried the wet hot pot once and it wasn’t as good to my tastes.) There is a wide variety of proteins, veggies, and starches to choose from. I order extra spicy and extra numbing; Peony orders mild or medium and extra numbing. The extra spicy version is an intense flavor and endorphin bomb. It is really spicy, like Jitlada spicy. The quality of the fish has been poor in the past, so I go with shrimp and the three kinds of tofu they offer as my proteins. This really hit the spot! Today, we got the crawfish for the first time, and it was really good too. Peony tells me mala crawfish (麻辣小龙虾) is a famous Chinese dish. The cumin-y roasted skewers are also a winner.

Peony: 7/10. Great Sichuan food for takeout! Good quality ingredients and good flavor mix. You also get to choose various levels of spiciness. The dry pots are our favorite. They work really well for delivery, plus you get to pick your own mix of ingredients. A great choice for delivery if you crave some spicy Sichuan food.

3 Likes

Mizlala (West Adams)

Peony: 7.5/10. Loved everything tonight! The pargiyot chicken was tender and juicy, and the accompanying tahini sauce was tasty. The falafel were tasty from the inside out. (Some restaurants’ falafel are only tasty on the outside, and the inside is bland, but that was not the case with these falafel.) The roasted cauliflower had nice texture, although I wish it had a little more salt. The cucumber and tomato salad was simple and refreshing. Overall, another good experience with Mizlala delivery.

Warrior: 7/10. Mizlala offers good quality Israeli food. The falafel is excellent—in the competition for best in LA. They have a nice savory flavor and a good balance of crunchy exterior and moist interior. I wasn’t as impressed with the chicken as Peony was (I found it a little dry), but I did enjoy it. Generally, I appreciate the freshness of all the vegetables and the overall healthiness of the food.

2 Likes

Tulsi (Indian, DTLA)

Warrior: 7.5/10. Either I was wrong about this restaurant in my review earlier this year or it has really improved. I’ve visited in person several times for lunch recently in addition to tonight’s delivery. The food has been very good—the best Indian in DTLA in my opinion. They do a good job with dishes from multiple different regions. Perhaps the most impressive dishes tonight were the North Indian sarson ka saag (mustard greens, served with corn flatbread) and the malai kofta (vegetable dumplings). I’ve never seen the former dish in LA (though it is a classic), and Tulsi’s rendition of the latter dish is the best I can remember tasting in LA. The Indo-Chinese dishes (garlic fried basmati rice and sautéed roasted paneer with soy-tomato sauce) were really good too. I’m not a big fan of their dhokla (steamed lentil squares), which are a little sweet for me, but they are okay. (I would recommend the khandvi from the Western Indian/Gujarati menu instead.) We didn’t get any Southern Indian dishes tonight, but the restaurant does a good job with those too.

Peony: 7.5/10. I enjoyed almost everything tonight. I liked the two breads and the steamed lentil dhoklas. They worked really well with the curries. The malai kofta and saag were tasty and had the right level of spice for my tastes. The Indo-Chinese fried rice turned out really well as the texture of basmati rice is naturally dry and al dente. Very good Indian food for delivery.

2 Likes

Have you tried India’s Restaurant in Silver Lake? I’m not too experienced in Indian food but recently had lunch there and thought the food was quite good.

Warrior: I have eaten there a few times, including for dinner and the lunch buffet, though it has been many years. My thinking was that it was a solid restaurant with a North Indian menu that seemed copied and pasted from all the other Indian restaurants around the U.S., which isn’t necessarily a bad thing because those dishes can all be very good. I remember Yelpers seemed to love it, but I was never that fond. On the other hand, I remember liking it more than other Indian restaurants in that area (e.g., Agra). Anyway, it has been a very long time (eight years?). We will remember to try it again.

1 Like

Soriana (Saudi Arabian, DTLA)

Warrior: 5/10. We’ve ordered from Soriana, which used to have a different name that I forget, about five times. Every time, I hope that last time I ordered the wrong thing or it was a bad night for the kitchen, because the food shows some promise, and I’ve never had Saudi Arabian food outside of Thailand. But every time, the food is disappointing. They have three kinds of classic Saudi Arabian preparations of chicken (not even counting the shawarma)—how exciting!—but each is way too dry and bland. I did like the flavorful basmati rice tonight. The zaatar bread and the fattouch salad were just okay.

Peony: 5.5/10. The food was fine. The chicken was a little on the tough side. The flavor was a bit bland, especially in the middle bits. But the rice was very tasty and flavorful, and I even if it was cooked in the chicken’s broth to achieve such a result. Nothing wrong with all the dishes. I just feel they could be better.

2 Likes

ROOTS Indian Bistro (Northern) - Melrose & La Brea

Speaking of Indian Food & Deliveries - A cold & rainy Monday seemed like a good day for Postmates… and hot, comforting curries seemed like just the ticket. :slightly_smiling_face:

Onion Pakoras (onions fried in chickpea batter) and Potato & Pea Samosas. Both Vegan.

Pakoras are probably better eaten in the restaurant. Samosas came nice & hot, w/a light, crispy wrapper (not greasy), savory filling. Tasty sauces. We like ’em. :hearts:

Chicken Vindaloo & Vegetable Korma

The Vindaloo sauce could’ve been reduced a little longer, but was flavorful and the chicken was very tender. My favorite was the Korma. I couldn’t really taste the raisins in the cashew-raisin sauce but it is still quite yummy!

Garlic Naan & Tandoori Roti (both $3 for two pieces)

I won’t judge the breads by delivery standards, but I liked the Naan best. :wink:

Excellent pairing…

The curries came piping hot. The spice levels have a nice warm, slow building heat. You can order one or all four dipping sauces ($2 ea) for a flavor boost or more heat. I loved the spicy, dark green mint sauce. I do wish they used more eco-friendly or reusable packaging (yes, I’m that girl).

We would certainly order from ROOTS again and look forward to exploring more of the menu.

10 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Warrior vs. Langer’s: threat or menace

Anyone who doesn’t like this topic, just stop reading it. Meta discussion derailing the topic does not belong here. If you think someone has posted something inappropriate, flag it. If you’re confused about any of this, maybe re-read the etiquette section of the FAQ.

https://www.foodtalkcentral.com/faq

Any replies to this post will be moved to some other topic.

3 Likes

Yes sir.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :kissing_heart: :rofl: :smiley: :upside_down_face: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8 Likes

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen you use any emojis b/f, let alone SEVEN!!! WILD!!!

3 Likes

Its my @Chowseeker1999 impression!

5 Likes

We had the same impression. Hubs is impressed with the chicken while I think it’s a little chewy, but did enjoy the flavors. We enjoyed a lot of Mizlala takeout during the lockdown and it’s a good place to meet friends in our hood.

3 Likes

Peony: Thanks so much for sharing! The food looks really delicious! Looking forward to to trying them, too!

3 Likes

Same. At Mizlala for me, it’s the Meatballs or go home. The Chicken Schwarma is also good… but hubs like to get the Pargoyot because it’s super healthy and goes well in the salad plate.

2 Likes

See that would typically be me, but they use boneless thighs which I find too chewy a lot of times.

1 Like