Detroit Pizza

Interesting timing for your report as roadfood.com published a review of Cloverleaf today, Cloverleaf Restaurant and Bar - Eastpointe, MI | Review & What to Eat

1 Like

In spite of being cooked in a deep dish pan, it bears little resemblance to Chicago-style pizza. It is more a variation on what some might call a Sicilian slice.

The pans are different.

Gus Guerra indeed got the dough recipe from his Sicilian mother-in-law.

That’s genius.

2 Likes

Anybody heard of or tried:

D Town Pizzeria

7326 Santa Monica Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90046

photo credit: Yelp

2 Likes

No but I will book mark and try later I love Detroit style pizza. Report back if you beat me to it. Hopefully it’s better than jets!

Looking at the menu the pizza is pretty pricy. The haole is 23 bucks and with four slices it comes out to a little under 6 bucks a slice.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve had it three times. I love it – highly recommended!

4 Likes

Favorite pie?

So, I have to take a drive out to Westlake Village tomorrow.

Looking through my “To Try” list, THIS came up.

Parma Pizzeria Napoletana

http://www.parmapizzerianapoletana.com/

Serving Detroit style pizza. Now, I am slightly senile. I MAY have eaten here, but I thought they closed (maybe new owner?)

Photos: Yelp!

Tough for me not to go to Brent’s or Italia Deli, or a Peruvian sandwich place I found.

5 Likes

We stopped there on way back from Oxnard and it was okay. They have this rock-n-roll theme. It’s more a hang out than serious pizza joynt.

1 Like

Thank you for this. Italia Deli is leading now :slight_smile:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Good lord that’s one repetitive press release.

2 Likes

Plus the punctuation police were sleeping on the job.

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2021/01/27/pizza-huts-detroit-style-is-crunchy-cheesy-one-expert-says-motor-city-natives-would-be-offended/

1 Like

I tried Dough Daddy, thought it was good but am not a Detroit Pizza expert. Gotta be on top of the ordering situation, slots go fast!
https://www.instagram.com/doughdaddyla/?hl=en

5 Likes

No pics because we scarfed it down in a really dark car… but we had slices from Bootleg Pizza’s new place on Pico and OMG, are they good. The crust is amazing, very flavorful and crisp. We got the Pep’d Up and the Hot Jimmy. I love pizza loaded with toppings and so the Hot Jimmy was right up my alley. So much interest in one BIG slice. The Pep’d Up was like a carpet of peperoni. The longer cooking time for these pies means that some of the pepperoni slices get burnt… but that doesn’t take a way from how it all comes together. This one is one of my favorite pepperoni slices in the city.

Each slice was $6… which was pricy… but these slices are HEFTY. One was more than enough for a satisfying meal. It’s a much better deal to get a whole pie… and they do take phone and online orders. They said it takes about an hour to make a pie… but during their busy times it may take longer… A great addition to the awesome pies being slung in Mid-City!

10 Likes

Have had Dough Daddy about 3-4 times by now. I really like it! I don’t know much about Detroit-style pizza either. My husband worked in Detroit for a few months and had a bunch of pizza while there, and he said Dough Daddy was really good and close to what he had there.

7 Likes

That Bootleg crust is amazing. FWIW, last time we ordered a pizza from there it was ready in like 40 minutes (we ordered first thing).

3 Likes

Had Bootleg Pizza, I’m glad the sourdough crust turned me off a bit or I’d be going there everyday. Everything was perfect, except I didn’t like the sourness of the dough.

4 Likes