Devastated that Bourdain died

I see nothing other than two statements that he was in private practice. I could say that about myself.

Good grief, woman. I am tired. Good night.

I may not have mentioned that I have a lot of professional medical and scientific background. So I read between the lines quite well usually.

Sleep well.

Umm he did med school and residency at USC. Then went to Huntington Memorial as the head internist.

Sounds legit to me. Especially a residency at County, thatā€™s probably hundreds and hundreds of ptā€™s he saw.

1 Like

And stellar credentials, tooā€¦ A shame, really.

@catholiver: you know I respect you. But this isnā€™t an area in which @J_L needs to read btw the lines. You can trust him here. :slight_smile:

Iā€™d normally say that we should go back to the thread, but a discussion of public vs. private persona and what society seems to value vs. what one wants for themselves is not necessarily very far off-topic here, sadly.

1 Like

Agreed.
I brought him up as a ham-fisted attempt to provide an example of the dangers of diagnosing through innuendo and gossip. I didnā€™t mean for the convo to fully stray into a Dr. Drew cul-de-sac. My bad.
Back on topic, does anyone remember when we almost lost our sardonic hero on a sand dune?

3 Likes

Yes, of course.
Classic.

1 Like

Well said.

1 Like

From Food 52:

1 Like

i put it off for a bit, but i just finished watching season twelve of parts unknown. it was like unwrapping a gift from someone whoā€™s since passed away; you want to find out what it is, while itā€™s mainly a reminder that heā€™s gone. for those who havenā€™t seen them yet, thereā€™s only seven episodes, and two of them were memorial/behind the scenes episodes that provided insights into bourdain & the process. while i still believe that learning about what people eat can help you understand people different from you, bourdain took things to completely different level in a way i admired.

9 Likes

I started to grab quotes from this and realized that would being doing a disservice to the piece; I canā€™t imagine more wonderful, honest words in tribute to a fellow human - beautiful and hard and true:

6 Likes

"ā€¦ it makes a difference if you walk in the door saying, ā€˜Iā€™m going to love it here,ā€™ or you walk in the door saying, ā€˜This place is going to suck.ā€™ "

2 Likes

Did the one on Miracle Mile Sizzler close down? I think it was west of Fairfax. I lived and worked in the area and used to walk past it all time.

I just had a conversation with a gal who was in an early Bourdain episode. He went to author Hsiao Ching Chouā€™s house to make dumplings with her for a little house party. She said he was sick as a dog but when the camera was on he was full of energy and as soon as the camera was off, he sat silently chewing his dumplings, absolutely miserable. Having worked in the entertainment industry for many years, Iā€™ve met and become friends with people like that before, who can just turn their charm on and off on a dime, and I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever met one who struck me as a genuinely happy person.

Mr Taster

3 Likes

I think there is a Sizzler on Western a block or two south of Wilshire.

Iā€™m from over there (Baku) etc.

he picked up 2 posthumous emmy nominations. hard to believe that itā€™s already been over a year now.

4 Likes