Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- AUGUST 2016 -- NOMINATIONS

Minor revision — How about:

COLD (not frozen) NON-DESSERT DISHES ???

Hmmm… Interesting.

2 Likes

I had their “olives” at Tickets Bar and they were incredible! Off-topic.

1 Like

Like salad? Or, god forbid, pasta salad?

Sure, why not? Or drunken chicken, hiyashi ramen, Taiwanese summer peanut sauce noodles, pickled jellyfish, gazpacho, borscht, natto dishes, etc…

I guess I can post my never-ending kale salads that I’m addicted to… That would be exciting stuff. :wink:

1 Like

In all seriousness, if you truly think it’s DOTM material…

1 Like

…Poke (except the warm rice). Seeking out cold non-dessert dishes might take more creative thinking. Could be fun.

Well, and since we already had fruit and vegetables in several months, maybe we (one) could specify cold, non-dessert dishes that DON’T predominantly use fruit or vegetables (since none of @J_L’s excellent suggestions feature either one!).

I’m going to stay out of the fruit debate. I already put my foot in my mouth on that one. More than once :blush:.

1 Like

Inhaled some Blockheads snow ice tonight. Does that count as FROZEN DAIRY BASED DESSERTS? Followed up with Coffee Tomo’s Tomo latte - smooth as silk.

That was funny.

it seems to me that western cuisines don’t do many non-dessert dishes that are designed to be served chilled the way asian cuisines do. i could do just different asian cold noodles every day for a month:

hiyashi chuka, cold ramen, soba (seiro or kikcouchi), even cold udon

naengmyeon (chilled broth) bibm-guksu (spicy) kong-guksu (soy) jaenban-guksu (acorn noodles. gochujang w/ veggies), dongchimi guksu (vinegar & white kimchi), even chap chae served cold,

taiwanese style cold sesame/peanut/tahnini noodles, cold spicy noodles (sichuan version), cold zhajang noodles, the dongbei version with the teny sheets. there are spicy cold sesame versions as well. versions using mung bean noodles. versions using pickled vegetable.liang pi and other shaanxi variants, yunnan style

then you have all the south asian variants that use fish sauce, vietnamese bun, lao, thai & cambodian stuff i know nothing about, etc. probably more like two months.

1 Like

It’s clear that someone here did a PhD dissertation on the matter…

1 Like

actually, i could have provided pics too.

i think you need to take a look at the climate of the places you speak of.

it wouldn’t surprise me if the cold non dessert dishes you mention
are from the warmer parts of those asian lands.

of course, i could be wrong. and if i am, i’m sorry.

my vote HOT DOGS & HAMBURGERS

[quote=“secretasianman, post:34, topic:3855”]
it seems to me that western cuisines don’t do many non-dessert dishes that are designed to be served chilled the way asian cuisines do.
[/quote]You’d be surprised. I have a few things up my sleeve. It’s actually my favorite way to eat. But I’ll keep them to myself. The fun is revealing your picks to the community. So I’m voting COLD NON-DESSERT DISHES

[quote=“secretasianman, post:34, topic:3855”]
taiwanese style cold sesame/peanut/tahnini noodles, cold spicy noodles (sichuan version),
[/quote]Love that one. I have a great recipe that I make for BBQ’s.

1 Like

That is one gorgeous thing, and hotdogs are my guilty pleasure. But after BBQ month I just can’t. I mean I can but…

3 Likes