Dish of the Month (DoTM) -- DECEMBER 2016 -- GONADS, PIES, AND CURRY

Khao soi jay at Night + Market Song.

8 Likes

Honeybird’s pies used to be from Quenelle but they are now made in-house.

Lemon Meringue Pie:

Banana Cream Pie:

Pie case:

Honeybird
714 Foothill Blvd
La Cañada, CA 91011
www.honeybirdla.com

11 Likes

And the taste??? :slight_smile: They look marvelous…

3 Likes

Oh that might be vital information, huh? Whoops. :grin: I thought they tasted great. Especially the lemon meringue. I typically don’t like pie crust but loved the graham cracker streusel crust on the lemon meringue. I’m also not the biggest fan of banana cream pie, but this was very tasty. My SO loved it.

8 Likes

I followed @chinchi’s lead and had khao soi today. Mine was from Elephant Thai Kitchen, which had a favorable review in the OC Weekly. According to the Weekly, it’s run by a Laotian who escaped the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. He decided to specialize in Northern Thai and Issan fare. As for the khao soi, it hit all the right notes for me - sweet, creamy, and surprisingly a bit spicy. There were nice hits of salt and crunch from the pickled vegetables. I haven’t been to Pailin lately, so I think a taste comparison is in order.

2087 Long Beach Blvd
Long Beach, CA 90806
(562) 513-3015

The khao soi was $9.

10 Likes

#Terra Cotta

Uni rice - hot stone rice with seaweed, salmon roe, caviar and sea urchin
The 'ndas were so fresh they tried inseminating the roe and caviar.

#POT
beep beep - uni dynamite rice
I counted at least 9 'nads, not a bad deal for $19.

12 Likes

Bafun uni from Hokkaido, at Sushi Ginza Onodera…

9 Likes

Keepin’ POT alive. How’d it taste?

1 Like

Very pretty… and finally, it is in my 'hood.

Waiting impatiently for someone to post Rocky Mountain oyster binge…

1 Like

Boysenberry pie from Mrs Knott’s chicken restaurant. Nice crust. Boysenberry filling was a good consistency, but rather sweet. They packed our slices to go but I snuck in a few bites before we made it home :smile_cat:

7 Likes

[quote=“chinchi, post:85, topic:4717”]
Mrs Knott’s chicken restaurant.
[/quote]I like the sound of that. Where is Mrs. Knott and her chicken?

Was on W. Pico today. Apple Pan closed Mondays! Still no boysenberry pie for me. Is boysenberry still in season anyway?

Here, I assume:
Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant | Knott's Berry Farm - but that’s a guess.

2 Likes

It’s right outside Knott’s Berry Farm in Buena Park. I hadn’t been in over twenty years, but I quite enjoyed our (heavy) dinner and day at the park. Chicken dinner costs $22 and comes with pull-apart biscuits, choice of three sides (I went with the rhubarb cherry compote, cabbage with ham, and salad; there was also kernel corn and chicken noodle soup), choice of main (my choice was half a fried chicken with mash potatoes and gravy; also on offer were chicken & dumplings, chicken pot pie, and boiled chicken), and choice of pie (I had to get Knott’s signature boysenberry). It was a LOT of food. I’ll be eating chicken leftovers for another couple meals. :yum:

3 Likes

Why thank you, Ms Elsie Dee.

1 Like

Well, that just sounds like heaven on a plate to me.

Don’t scold me too much for going off topic @paranoidgarliclover. This is too much of an Americana coinkydink.

Tonight’s Dinner - Apple Cider Brined Roasted Turkey, Root Vegetables w/Gravy & Pull-Apart Biscuits

6 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Nice. :slight_smile: Where did you get the Turkey from? I was hoping we’d find more Turkey dishes for November DOTM. :slight_smile:

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

I actually made it. I love spending Tday at relatives. It’s a chance to see folks. Plus there’s less stress and no messy kitchen :relieved:. But I miss leftovers. I got a 10 pounder at Wholefoods this week and did it simple as possible, throwing the vedg in the same roasting pan the last 30 minutes.

I’m with you. I too was hoping to find more turkey and harvest foods in restaurants during November DOTM. But there wasn’t a lot offered. Craft in Century City had a really nice looking prix-fixe lunch menu. But by the time I could go they had already taken it off.

Okay, back to eating curried gonad pies!

1 Like

You could cross post w/ the Thanksgiving DoTM since it’s so empty there! :wink:

Gravy looks quite good…

1 Like