Dish of the Month -- feedback about changes

I really like @Bigmouth’s observations and philosophies. At the same time I think @paranoidgarliclover’s requests make sense. Hence my starting the Poke & Fried Chicken threads. But as a newer member this is something I’ve learned over time.

Everybody has their own and style and preference. Like wanting or not wanting alerts and notifications, or @Chowseeker1999’s refreshing way of refraining from the banter and focusing on great food reporting. But we have to think first “Is this good for the community or am I trying to make the community conform to my personal preference.” And I’m speaking of myself as well.

So IMO Chowseeker1999’s solution/compromise is the best.

Happy Eating!

1 Like

Trying to resolve whether thread drift is appropriate is a bit like shaving Schrödinger’s cat with Occam’s Razor.

In many ways, thread drift is an integral part of the haecceity of FTC. it defines so much of the content we create. A thread that starts off about pizza at Vito’s may drift into discussions about the various regional styles (NY, St. Louis, Chicago, etc), or about whether canned mushrooms are ever an appropriate topping.

Or create a thread about Dan Dan Mian and it’ll inevitably spawn discussions about whether authentic Dan Dan Mian is dry or wet, or which restaurant makes it the best, or whether this is really a Sichuan dish.

Much of the unique appeal of thread drift is that it’s a way to naturally explore a particular food, or dish, or whatever. In a way, it’s as much exploration of the food itself as it is self-exploration. In learning about the culture or history, or some other collateral aspect of a particular dish or food item, we learn as much about what makes a particular food item special (i.e., what makes pastrami an integral part of Jewish deli culture), as we do our own preferences, biases, and just plain ignorance. And one cannot really begin to comprehend how much they do not know, until they start to understand what they do know.

You will never get those thread drifts if you intentionally tried, they have to happen organically. And if you separate the thread drift from the original thread (even if a moderator did it so that there was a link in the original thread to new “thread drift” post), it will most likely wither as what made the thread drift interesting and worthwhile in the first place was the context in which it was spawned.

Like finding a yellow rose in red rose bush. Snip the yellow rose from the bush, and it’ll die even if you plant it in the ground.

Of course we can simply ban thread drift entirely, which is fine. It’ll make the site different, but no less worthwhile.

My only concern with banning thread drift is that it puts a chill on forum participation. Way back when we all hit the escape hatch from Chowhound and found refuge elsewhere and then eventually here at FTC, a large part of the motivation was to find a place where participation could be uninhibited, and without fear of recourse from up above. A place kind of like Cheers - where everybody knows your name and you can just hang at the bar as long or as short as you want and shoot the shit with a bunch of folks who share your passion (food).

I just think at the end of the day most, if not all, of us have enough self-awareness to know when thread drift is kosher and when it has just become a complete fucking waste of time.

8 Likes

Well said, ipse. I’ve enjoyed that this site is looser than CH, allowing that ‘drift.’ And it seems like people are self-moderating themselves so it doesn’t go too far afield. 'Course I’m talking about the site generally as, dammit, I can’t participate in DOTM. But not so loose like WFD used to be on CH. “Drift” would have been a kind description. No more kitties please :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @paranoidgarliclover for starting this “feedback thread”. It lets posters express their opinions without damaging a good food thread.

2 Likes

There was a chinese discussion inside the vegetables thread? Oh lord, now I have to go find this…

1 Like

Hi @yogachik,

Oh that was just a hypothetical example. :sweat_smile: Although I think our Vegetable thread did drift off into other topics, but it was all good. :slight_smile:

That.

Can anybody recommend a good Japanese restaurant in SF?

2 Likes

No, but I got a great pizza joint in Oakland that has awesome anime as places settings.

4 Likes

Hi, I’m new here from Chowhound, and am very happy to have found you all.

I have read through this thread and am unclear as to what DOTM means. Is it only restaurant food? Or pictures of the food we found at the farmers market or a store?

Thank you.

1 Like

Welcome to Food Talk Central @Bookwich

I think most of us originally gathered at Chowhound. We migrated here after Chowhound implemented major changes to just about all fundamental aspects of their site, particularly posting methods, rules and moderation.

One major difference here is the freedom. Going from CH to FTC is like transitioning from an isolated town run by an uptight totalitarian regime that unreasonably oversees and documents every minute aspect, to partying in a nudist colony (warts, tummy-tucks and all) located in the Galt’s Gulch or Avalon of your dreams.

With freedom comes responsibility. Just my take, but because the style and format here are far more free-wheeling, we tend to be self-moderating. We do have a moderator - poster ipsedixit - but he intervenes only when a conversation turns into the occasional bar fight, when other social norms are deviated from, or when a thread starts to go completely off the rails. I see ipse as an editor at the Daily Onion or the psychiatric director of a psych ward - not much will raise his eyebrow. Use your good judgement and all is well.

Dish of the Month has a relatively loose format. We normally nominate and vote on various dishes, cuisines or items, e.g. pasta, Korean or fruit. You happened to walk in on an unusual month. Because we tend to be footloose and fancy-free here, we changed up the basic procedures. @paranoidgarliclover volunteered to take care of DOTM, so he pretty much calls the shots on it.

Whatever the case, BBQ/grilling is the DOTM. It may include slow smoke BBQ, Santa Maria-style, Asian BBQ/grilling, home-based (try to include details like your cool Spot Prawn entry) or what ever else might fall in this broad category. Just enjoy it!

Again, welcome, sit a spell and have fun!

6 Likes

Hi @Bookwich,

Welcome to FTC! :slight_smile: Hope you enjoy the stay.

3 Likes

Long story short, it’s whatever you can source in the greater LA/OC area, whether that be from a restaurant, a store, your backyard grill, or your garden.

The slightly longer story is that it used to just be what you could get in a restaurant or store, but people started posting from other sources, the world didn’t fall off its axis (although I could be living in a gravitational illusion), and so we just kept on keeping on.

This past month, I brought up possibly adding a “theme” to each month’s dish (this month was something “meaty”), but posters are still free to nominate whatever they like (and they did).

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I found the site after someone posted the link in a “Is
the Los Angeles Community Essentially Dead?” Chowhound discussion. The post
got taken down, of course.

Happy to be here!

7 Likes

that was me, glad you saw it before it got taken down. welcome to ftc.

4 Likes

Welcome, @Bookwich! Make yourself at home here.

Thank you!

1 Like

A thousand thanks, finally some L.A. people to chat with. @PorkyBelly

5 Likes

This is more a general FTC feedback thing. If you can, please give a street or city or general area of the places you’re dining. It doesn’t have to be an address (although that’s nice). But IMHO, the idea is to share the popular places with the community, but also places we might not know about and may want to try. Thanks! Happy eating!

6 Likes