Exquisite Kappo Cuisine Arrives in L.A. - Welcome to Shibumi [Thoughts + Pics]

Masa Windu: “You are on this Council, but we do not grant you the rank of Shokunin”

Chef in training: “What?! How can you do this? This is outrageous, it’s unfair … I’m make better ass aged chinmi than any of you muddafuggaz. How can you be on the Council and not be a Shokunin?”

Masa Windu: “Take a seat or open your own kappo restaurant, my Jedi apprentice…”

1 Like

Yes, essentially that’s a possible scenario that plays out in Japanese culture. That shit can really happen in a traditional sempai/kohai relationship. But again, not sure what the hell actually happened in Shibumi’s case, 'cuz we’re not in Japan.

Yeah, pretty much this.

No, it does not.

Maybe you are referring to a noren-wake situation?

2 Likes

Ah yes, thanks for the correct terminology. Appreciate it.

that yahata-maki (eel wrapped burdock) was damn good too.

3 Likes

Schlosser’s resume is crazy:

2 Likes

chinmi

fish drying in the kitchen

That is indeed a snowman.

chinmi: I ate the uni before I remembered to take a photo.

fresh tofu with sesame: they added something (rice flour?) to give a sort of mochi-ish texture

house martini

tai with jellied skin

iced whitebait? I liked it better as it warmed up a bit

nice cup for the Born

Sweet potato with miso. Delicious and totally unexpected. Reminded me of having peanut butter on toast when I was a kid.

gnocchi, more or less, very chewy

perfect salmon

beef

with rice, soup, and pickles

It was quiet when I arrived at 6:00, but by 7:30 they were full and the chefs were busy.

Some big spender went nuts with the chinmi and got an extra item I didn’t.

hoji cha

kinako ice cream with kinako

Expensive but solid value for money.

6 Likes

i was wondering if that dab of sauce was one of the chinmi before i read your caption!

All of the sake you had can be either purchased from or special ordered (ie Harada Junmai) through True Sake in SF, in case you want to buy something.

1 Like