Favorite high quality tuna?

Cases for max savings. This tuna is great! And it’s packed so so tightly. It’s definitely cheaper than Spanish tuna as it’s a large can.

3 Likes

I’ve been buying the Ortiz Spanish tuna for a few years. It’s not THAT expensive - $6/can ? - but so worth it. I buy a case of I think it’s 30 and that last me a couple of years.

1 Like

The Oval one? It’s like 4oz… Katy’s is nearly double that 7.5… All Tuna. no Olive Oil

4 Likes

Wow. I hadn’t noticed that. It’s line caught Spanish tuna packed in Spanish oo.

1 Like

I can add olive oil if I want to buy I want to buy plain tuna for tuna salad. 7.5 super packed cans are coming out less than anything resembling sushi grade (whatever that means) Spanish

Cheers @TheCookie for sharing the Korean tuna can I’ve been wanting to try. Hope you enjoy Katy’s.

4 Likes

Thanks @Nemroz!

Yep, already enjoying it. Been goofing off on the Japanese Curry thread and gotta’ get back to work. I’ll post my Katy’s a little later!

P.S. Thanks for the palm sugar! Isn’t it great having food talking neighbors?

3 Likes

I use olive oil rather than mayo with this tuna. I make a wonderful ‘thing’ with capers, red onion, arugula, s&p. And a tiny bit of “good” champagne vinegar. Thanks to Molinari’s in SF probably ten years ago

3 Likes

Not just fancy, “Very Fancy” :wink:

The first thing I noticed was how oily the tuna water is. It made me check the ingredients. No oil, just tuna in its own fats & juices, sea salt & yum. :hearts:

Tahini Dressing & Toasted Mom’s Pita

Next up, the real test… a good ol’ tuna salad sandwich! :blush:

9 Likes

Same. I want to get some nice sandwich bread with a bunch of grains and nuts for it but they’re always too sweet

1 Like

Okay, San Diego peeps, anyone want to go in on a case with me?

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. Guess who was too lazy to read and rushing to prepare dinner and dumped that liquid gold

1 Like

Me too @Nemroz! I let the cats have it as a treat then read you’re supposed to mix it back in. :smirk_cat: It would be good to save for seafood sauces & broths too. I also save the olive oil from my Ortiz Tuna for cooking @catholiver.

I’m never not having this in the cupboards again. Love it. So much like russian canned fish I grew up eating but with proper heat . Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Okay, good! Because I’m gonna’ want to re-up. :blush: I already gave 4 away because I didn’t want to seem greedy to a friend who was staring at the stack on my table. :smirk:

I’m in KTown all the time. This is a no-brainer now

Hasn’t quite made it into a sandwich yet…

Tuna Salad (Veganaise, Dried Shallots, Lemon Pepper, Pepper, Chives) & Pita Chips

I was worried keeping the juices would make tuna salad watery like tuna in water. Nope, juices absorb back into the flesh. The cats are outta luck on this one. They can have the Geisha Tuna water. :slightly_smiling_face:

Tip: it’s delicate so if you like it chunky fold the ingredients together gently with a spoon.

5 Likes

I tried re-reading this whole thread and didn’t see where you got this? The one with the Hot Pepper Sauce?

1 Like

Probably on Amazon. :grimacing:

Every Korean shop has it

2 Likes

Thanks! I haven’t been to a Korean supermarket since Covid. None near me. Might have to make a trip soon, running low on gochujang among other things.