Favorite Restaurants San Fernando Valley (SFV)?

They don’t have a patio - takeout only. The Rustic Spoon is a few blocks away and they have street side dining. I haven’t tried them yet though.

1 Like

The scallops are pretty tasty at anajak.

2 Likes

Thai scallops? Are y’all sending me to a fusion place ? :crazy_face:

Rustic Spoon is not an appropriate substitute for Chiang Mai…

RS is great for corporate lunches.

1 Like

I don’t think I will bother to try them.

scallops

2 Likes

I feel like we should be talking more about Anjak…

1 Like

Anajak? No we shouldn’t. We just walked in and got told that it’s to go only and family is mad at me.

Damn, Salsa & Beer NoHo has a packed parking lot and line to dine in (giant patio they built in the side lot) at 2:15pm.

All wearing gloves, masks, enforcing distancing.

If you get a takeout order, you get a text when it’s ready.

Only down side with the takeout, is they are only making pico, chipotle, and their creamy spicy green salsa.

But they do pack you up with chips and bean dip.

2 Likes

they actually take reservations or is it FCFS?

It’s FCFS.

2 Likes

Any outdoor valley intel for today? Petit Trois booked, anajak, Chang mai to go only

New sushi spot called Yume In studio city.
Small menu but executed well.

2 Likes

Wonder if there is any relation to Yume on lil Santa Monica Blvd in Beverly Hills. We used to go there all the time in the early 2000s. Very solid neighborhood spot.

I’m not sure but I do know that the head chef worked at asanebo when they received their Michelin star all those years ago and has been working at various other spots around town since then.

2 Likes

Hey, @Ns1, I think you live near Santa Clarita? Have you ever been to Papa’s Deli, inside the Seco Mini Market on Seco Canyon?

They are opening up today inside the Cabana Liquor store, in Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys Blvd 1/4 block south of Ventura.

Pretty sure they’re doing half price sandwiches today.

In any case, doesn’t look like your typical bodega/liquor store fare. Goat cheese and multiple bread choices.

(Photos: Yelp)

Pastrami Reuben

Not sure what this is:

3 Likes

Never even heard of it. A bit on the other side of the SCV but I bookmarked it just in case. Maybe a pastrami Reuben on the way back from six flags (whenever that opens back up again…).

Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Ive never been. Got a menu from the new location that mentioned Santa Clarita.

Might be a good day for me to have a Pizza Wagon and Papa’s Deli bang bang.

1 Like

Ok, went to Papa’s Deli inside Cabana Liquor in Sherman Oaks.

Just opened today.

50% OFF all sandwiches this week.

For some reason, my sister who eats at Brent’s decided to try the corned beef sandwich.

So she said it’s like getting corned beef from the deli counter at the market. They panini pressed the bread.

I got the Italian combo on “ciabatta”.

This sandwich felt like it weighed two pounds. Massive. I figured it was from super dense bread. Yes, I was correct.

Super piled on. Cotto salami, spicy capicola ham, genoa salami, provolone, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pepperoncini, pickles, black olives, and Italian dressing.

Bread was dense and cold. REALLY needed some kind of treatment. Meat was decent, and won’t be confused for what you’ll get at Uncle Paulies, Bay Cities or Italia.

Hey $5 with the discount what can you say.

I’ll give them another shot with a sub roll or other bread.

EDIT: I put the entire sandwich, kept it closed, and put it in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes. Game changer. Cheese got melty but the tomatoes stayed cool, bread crisped up! NOW WE’RE TALKING!!

9 Likes

This is how I improved the sandwich.

Still, seriously bready. But the oven toasting…

1 Like