February 2017 Weekend Rundown

You ever brunch at Salt’s Cure?

Damn, the last time I was there with 4 people I think I ordered less food and walked away with two bags of leftovers lol (Well maybe you also left with a bunch of leftovers etc… idk)

Or maybe they’ve finally made the portions a bit less massive (would be fine with that personally since it’s a fun place to try a bunch of stuff).

The kua kling fish looks excellent. Was it crispy? I’ve only had the kua kling spare ribs, which were fairly unique.

Was the sauce with the crying tiger spicy, or sweet?

Very lucky you got the jade noodles, somehow they are almost always out of them when I go sigh #firstworldproblems

@paranoidgarliclover Yes, it didn’t work at all with the salsas. The burrito was delicious on its own though. BTW, your meal at Best Noodle House looks cracking! All those beautifully-hued chilis!

@WesSabi Yes, I went to pay my respects on the Day of Remembrance, but was there too early for the afternoon programming. The exhibition was devastating.

@Aesthete I’m one of those kooky pescatarians, but I’m sure my husband would love their food. It was incredibly busy. I’ll probably try a quesadilla or a cheese torta sometime though.

1 Like

i have not. regardless of how the food/drinks are, however, i’m more of a breakfast or lunch sort of fellow.
it’s a philosophical stance, i suppose.

1 Like

Salt’s is a swell place for people of such a mindset.

#New Duong Son BBQ
9211 Bolsa Ave # 115, Westminster, CA 92683

New internet challenge: try driving home with this on your passenger seat without taking a bite. Spoiler alert: i failed #porkbellychallenge

crispy skin roast suckling pig

duck combo

11 Likes

Having that crackly piglet with the lid open on your car seat is 10x more distracting than playing Candy Jam on your phone and balancing a nuoc mia while driving down Bolsa during rush hour.

3 Likes

It was slightly spicy.

I prefer luv2eat’s jade noodles over sapp’s. My only complaint is that the crispy pork can be a little too crispy.

I waited in line over an hour to pick up some goodies at the Manresa Bread pop-up in Esters Wine Shop & Bar.

The kouign-amann and the pain au chocolat were exquisitely flakey. I haven’t sampled my levain yet.

Manresa Bread
http://www.manresabread.com/shop-2/

I briefly dropped by the LA Art Book Fair at the Geffen Contemporary.

After all the crowds this morning, I was looking forward to decompressing at Otomisan, an old-school restaurant in Boyle Heights that serves humble Japanese fare. Much like Sawtelle Tempura House, it’s chockablock with bric-a-brac.

I tried to order the tenzaru soba (cold buckwheat noodles with tempura) to go, but they were out of soba. I ended up getting chilled udon instead. It hit the spot. And surprisingly the tempura was crisp despite a 45 minute ride home.

Otomisan doesn’t serve elevated Japanese cuisine, but I love going there when I miss my family’s home cooking. And the owner, Yayoi Watanabe, is an absolute sweetheart.

Otomisan
2506 1/2 E 1st St
Los Angeles, CA 90033
(323) 526-1150

13 Likes

Hi @MaladyNelson,

Nice weekend. :slight_smile: I like Otomisan as well. :slight_smile:

Although, why didn’t you eat the Tempura fresh at the restaurant? It’s always nice straight out of the fryer. :wink:

1 Like

So true that it’s better out of the fryer, but it was so hectic this morning that eating my meal at home was overwhelmingly appealing. Truth be told, I almost always get my meals to-go.

Was it just a one-day thing? Looks that way from Esters instagram. :frowning:

1 Like

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 26 / FROM 10 PM - 3 PM / BAROO / 5706 SANTA MONICA BLVD, LOS ANGELES

You might want to get there on the early side. There was an insane line, and some items were sold out by 11am.

1 Like

Argh, so probably too late for today!!! Are you on an e-mail list? It appeared on Manresa’s Instagram only ~1 hr ago.

BTW, I feel totally legit now that I’ve purchased one of those food safe plastic tubs for my own bulkf fermentation. :slight_smile: Made Forkish’s Overnight Country Blonde last wk, which turned out pretty well! I had to bulk ferment for 24 hours (!!!) b/c my kitchen is 65 deg.

1 Like

Maybe not too late, but you’ll probably face a long line, and some items may be sold out. You could always call Baroo and see what the situation is.

I heard about the pop-up from Jeremy Fox’s IG feed.

I’m so envious of your bread making skills! I bet your country blonde was amazing.

I actually like the Forkish recipe better than the NYT Tartine one. My kitchen is so cold (and I don’t want to pay $$$ for a proofing oven) that I need the super-long ferment. The small amount of rye flour in the Forkish recipe also adds a nice flavor.

I’m trying to dilute the starter a bit so that I don’t get too sour of a dough. I rushed the final proofing b/c I was getting impatient. :wink: Heh. The bread pretty good for nearly 4 days, which is also better than what I get w/ the Tartine recipe (which seems to go bad after 1.5 days). You really do have to go by the dough and not by the directions…

Will take some snaps of my next loaf for the Home Cooking thread (since I don’t want to go too far off topic!).

1 Like

Precious little flowers. They taste so pretty.

The Lodge at Torrey Pines
La Jolla

2 Likes

Pre-Oscars Sunday brunch at Belvedere (The Peninsula Beverly Hills):

House-smoked salmon, crab & avocado salad, scallops ceviche, stone crab claws, shrimp cocktail…

Freshly-shucked oysters!

Classic branzino, baked ziti, shakshuka, roasted Mary’s chicken with asparagus & golden potatoes…

Dessert plate number one…

7 Likes

Can’t wait to see the pics!

Your assortment of transport? :wink: