February 2022 Rundown

Saw Tam’s representing in the Halftime show made me want to get some chilli cheese fries, orange bang, and a hood burger

12 Likes

That sign made me laugh. In addition to being a South LA staple I wondered if they used it because it was easy to license. There was an article on Tommy’s Burgers I can’t find that mentioned they’ve never gone after the knockoff names so it would be a little rich if Tam’s licensed their name for money.

Then again, it’s the Super Bowl so it’s not like money is an issue. Man, that whole set piece was amazing.

2 Likes

Went to Pasta|Bar last night. I do not recommend anyone else going. I will definitely not be returning.

3 Likes

what went wrong?

I actually liked Scratch Bar back when that existed. The service/presentation was a bit over the top for my liking, but the food was generally pretty good even though it was overly fussy and always included some sort of foam/gel. The food at Pasta|Bar just wasn’t on the same level. None of the dishes were bad per se, but there was not a single standout and a couple were bland and straight up under-seasoned. I would not advise anyone spend the money dining there when there are better meals to be had elsewhere for the same price or substantially less.

LOL I saw the Tam’s sign and I suddenly had a jonesin’ for jook, cheung fun and wonton egg noodles…

8 Likes

Fuckin Tam’s showing was epic! I damn near spit my food out when I saw that iconic signage.

5 Likes
7 Likes

The box of gluttonous doom…

already ate 3 cookies lol

type or paste code here
4 Likes

Salsa & Beer NoHo!

CARNITAS

ASADA CON CAMARONES

12 Likes

Light morning snack at Porto’s in Glendale.

Getting my fill of guava. Also coconut strudel.

It’s Smiling

Seafood potato ball. What’s in it? Seafood, I guess. I did get a chunk of shrimp.

Not pictured, ham croquettes, chicken croquettes and regular potato balls.

THIS IS A DRUG….

12 Likes

You guessed correctly:

“Porto’s signature potato puree filled with a seafood ragout (calamari, shrimp, and scallop with garlic, cilantro, lemon zest, and tomato sauce). With a crispy cilantro panko crust.”

(We’ve a gift card for their “Bake at Home” stuff: need to actually redeem it at some point.)

5 Likes

I’m a big fan of those mystery seafood balls. The Porto’s bake at home is 90% as good as the bakery product imo

5 Likes

…and a brilliant and adaptive business move.

John’s Roast Pork, South Philly.

Cheesesteak with american and fried onions. Long hot on the side.

Notice how the cheese and onions are integrated with the steak? Not some melted glob on top.

Bread is always from a local South Philly bakery. Even better if they baked it in house like Angelo’s. Amoroso is kinda crappy tbh.

The steak all have a similar seasoning but the way it is chopped up varies on the location.

Cheese and fried onions is a must.

That’s a proper cheesesteak my friends.

19 Likes

Same! It reminds me of shrimp bisque inside a potato ball. I prefer it to the regular.

2 Likes

Had no idea there was seafood balls only had the beef balls.

1 Like

A Lenten speciality. Only available in the spring before Easter.

4 Likes

YES!! I said something similar to wifey as I was devouring one.

1 Like

Dude that look so fine. Them Philly cheesesteaks, dim sum at OG Phoenix Inn, Tastykakes, and having an Orange Julius while chillin’ at King of Prussia back in the day are some of the things I miss most about SE PA…

4 Likes