Flavors From Afar

Has anyone tried Flavors From Afar in Little Ethiopia? They are currently doing a Navajo menu.

www.flavorsfromafar.co

Instagram:

LA Times:

4 Likes

Never heard of it. What an interesting idea…

1 Like

I tried it when they had a Somalian menu. I didn’t know what to expect, so I was delightfully surprised. Love their mission!

5 Likes

That looks so good!

I SO wanted to love this place and maybe I ordered wrong, but it was just plain bad.

Chicken sambusa with Somali sauce. I truly wished I had ordered the vegetarian option because these were plain awful and I couldn’t finish them. Filled with minced chicken meat that tasted gamey and odd. Greasy. The Somali sauce, which is kind of like a spicy salsa, was okay.

Baba ganoush - just okay. Not smokey enough, not lemony enough, not using high quality olive oil. Came with heavy, greasy deep fried pita chips. No option for regular pita, which would have been preferable.

Palestinian salad - truly awful. Some big hunks of cucumbers with big hunks of hard industrial tomatoes. No discernible herbs. Covered with some flavorless yogurt. Night and day compared to the Mediterranean salad I had yesterday from Panini Kabob – which is a middlebrow chain. The Panini Kabob salad was edible. This one was not.

Based on the quality of the food, I would not order again.

1 Like

Same :frowning:

Well that’s disappointing to hear! :confused:

1 Like

Seems like it’s sort of a pop-up venue with a different chef every month, not a recipe for consistency.

1 Like

Sounds interesting. Will definitely check it out.

Uh oh… I’ll rephrase that to maybe will check it out.

Warrior: Their current menu seems to be their “greatest hits” from their various chefs. I enjoyed everything we ordered. The dishes were prepared with skill and care, and the bamieh (Syrian okra) is the best I’ve ever tasted. The interior was nice and the service was good. I definitely plan to return. For me, this restaurant competes with Lalibela for best restaurant in Little Ethiopia. 4.1 Warrior Points.

Peony: Very tasty! I’m new to African food, but I immediately liked the flavor combinations. This made me want to explore more African food.