French vanilla ice cream

He’s a keeper.

3 Likes

But French vanilla does not refer to the type of bean, but rather a technique in how the ice cream is made. French vanilla is basically an eggy, custard based ice cream.

1 Like

Have you not been paying attention? Fosselman’s has French vanilla ice cream. You may not like it, but it exists in LA. There is a sign. A big one, in fact, that starts with the letter “F”.

Vanilla frozen custard at Hache on Sunset in Silver Lake. Made w/liquid nitrogen while you wait .

Not sure if I ordered the double fold vanilla, but I was not too impressed with their vanilla ice cream, whichever one I had.

Well I am at 28 years. She doesn’t like my lovely homemade ice cream although she loves the sorbet.

1 Like

You have my years beat! Excellent!

(And that’s even with her not liking your ice cream, lol.)

Fosselman’s, I have to say this one hand scooped was much better than the half gallon ones. Pretty good stuff although I wish they had more yolks. Still very good and easily satisfied a craving.

1 Like

Yay!

I am happy for you and…

My husband will feel SO vindicated ; )

Also, try the rum raisin at Fosselmans. Really delightful, like a boozy great vanilla with raisins. Even I like it! (And my dad, a picky rum raisin guy, adored it.)

You are, of course, right. And I was even thinking when I was writing about Jeni’s that it’s tapioca and not egg based.

As a former pastry chef and ice cream maker, have to say I’m pretty impressed with both the flavor and texture of Whole Foods 365 French Vanilla. No need to break out the PacoJet.

Recently served with Virgil’s Black Cherry Soda for floats. Bangin’!

1 Like

If we’re talking store brand, I think the best I’ve had is Trader Joe’s French Vanilla.

And I generally detest Trader Joe’s.

2 Likes

TJs Vanila is really good and made by Double Rainbow, I believe. The TJs chocolate and coffee also rock.

But there’s just something about that 365 Brand French Vanilla which really hits the spot…especially if you have Amarena cherries in the pantry. There is remarkably more air in the 365 giving it a terrific light and fluffy texture and probably more yolk for a more custard-like result

Both good, but they’re different.

1 Like

Never had 365. I do like the Tillamook French vanilla for store bought.

I’ll give 365 a try one day.

1 Like

Oh man. I never had this and finally got initiated last light. Friend had these mini buckets of their watermelon, black raspberry and lemon custard. Phenomenal stuff!

The strawberry dipped chocolate is excellent, the little shards chocolate they add is ingenious.

if you like Ube, theirs is really good as well

1 Like

One of the best things in life is ube. No clue when I’d ever go but was cool that friend had 3 buckets