Fundraising Event for Undocumented Hospitality Workers (Updated with pictures from event)

Found out through Michael Cimarusti’s IG that a few or his cooks/pastry chefs at Providence are doing a burger fundrasier for the non-profit No US Without You this upcoming Monday.

To quote their mission:
No Us Without You is a 501c3 Non-Profit Public Charity providing food security for undocumented Back Of House Staff and their families. Undocumented hospitality workers are the backbone of the hospitality industry. They are unemployed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and are not eligible for unemployment benefits even though they’re taxed every paycheck.

Hyperlink to actual event on 8/24/20:

12 Likes

Just put in a request for 5:30 or 6pm. Hope to see ya’!

1 Like

It’s a rare chance to catch the legendary @TheCookie in the wild. I may have to adjust my time to make that happen.

3 Likes

Do! It will be legendary! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Back of House Burger Bash

TLDR: These Providence cooks are churning out damn good burgers out of an apartment backyard and for a damn good cause too! I’m already looking forward to their next event.

Rumor says :fish: :taco: is next so keep an eye out on their IG handle _back_of_house.

The four of them showed great teamwork tackling this event and never missed a beat.
Danielle handled the hot grill while the person on her right and Gina were swiftly assembling burgers. Cathy, on the other hand, politely greeted each customer before taking their orders. When the burgers’ painstaking construction were complete, Cathy and Gina would meticulously wrap each one before tucking them in to-go boxes. Time and again, one of them would rush into the apartment to bring out their ice-cold housemade lemonade or popsicle duos in order to complete an order.

What’s in the burger?

Start by toasting Cathy’s gorgeous homemade black & white sesame bun.

Add a heaping tablespoon or two of this glossy black garlic aioli onto both top & bottom bun.

Top bottom bun with a healthy dose of caramelized onion.

Crust up the smash-patties before stacking them on top of each other with swiss cheese melted in the center.

Top off the patties with a mix of sautéed oyster mushroom & pickled shiitake.

You end up with this beauty! Global gyuto not included.

My order?

Yes, you can dine-in! It’s actually my first time since good ol’ Rona hit us so I was thrilled with this opportunity.

butterball potato salad | chive, dill, celery, dijion mayo dressing
A classic potato salad bursting with dill freshness. There’s excellent texture variations between the tender yet creamy potatoes, crunchy celery and finely chopped red onions.

Not your usual throwaway combo item…loved the use of butterball potato rather than the typical Yukon Gold or red potatoes.

mushroom swiss cheese smash-burger | brisket and chuck blend, maple & soy caramelized onions, king oyster mushroom, pickled shiitake, black garlic aioli homemade black & white sesame bun

• Heavily toasted bun yet still soft inside
  • Sweet and sour flavor contrast between the pickled shiitake & caramelized onion
  • Liquid MSG in black garlic aioli
  • Meatiness oomph from king oyster shroom
  • Juicy
  • Melty cheese
  • Retained its structural integrity even to my last bite

A fine burger specimen.

strawberry & cream popsicle

mango & lime popsicle
Sweet mango flavor is modulated with lime’s bracing brightness. It’s so darn refreshing! This has to be the perfect remedy to counter against this hot-as-hell weather.

Fin

16 Likes

Looks great, how were the crowds?

1 Like

I saw them filling quite a few large orders of up to 9 burgers at a time during the hour I was there!

I may or may not have tried this on the legendary @TheCookie today.

3 Likes

He did! This crazy guy. :open_mouth:

It was a deliciously selfless thing this crew did today. They have great energy. If you missed it you can still donate to

https://www.nouswithoutyou.la/

4 Likes

Thank you for posting! I’m planning on making a donation, and really hope to catch a fundraising event.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! And if and when the next event comes up, I’ll update this thread. It’s great to have good food while being able to help others in need!

1 Like