Good values in olive oil

Tips I got and follow for selecting Olive Oil:

  • Cold or Expeller-pressed (not chemically)

  • Should be in a dark bottle (lessens exposure to elements)

  • Confident producers stamp the harvest date on their bottles.

  • I probably got more tips but I forgot them.

I have so many oils it might require entering a 12-step program. Here are the 3 Olive in the cabinet at present.

The fruity, peppery, sharp, Arbequina is 100% California. The Everyday is a blend from different countries.

I :hearts: this Jenin Olive Oil. Bottle description says it all, especially the buttery part. It’s made with olives from a sort of cooperative of family farms in the agriculturally rich Canaan. I discovered it at Epicurus in N Hollywood. :slightly_smiling_face:

P.S. Cobram Estate 100% California Select sounds good. @butteredwaffles & @Wakko11. Is it mail-order only.

4 Likes

I find it at Erewhon!

1 Like

Close. Thanks!

1 Like

I get my Cobram and California Ranch from Walmart :grin:

3 Likes

I got my California Olive Ranch when I went to check out a Food4Less for the first time. The $9 Ralphs priced destination series was only $6 there.

1 Like

I just ordered the California olive ranch. Arbequina from Amazon.

2 Likes

So I was driving and passed by a Walmart Neighborhood Market and decided to check it out.

2 Likes

asides from making a distinction between olive oil you cook with vs. finishing aka a last second garnish, samin nosrat advocates a great value in olive oil available at… costco.

kirkland olive oil

the downside is that at 2 liters, one may not be able to use it all before it hits the end if its shelf life.

3 Likes

I have a 5L from Eataly for 40$ (on sale) excellent QPR! It’s going fast

2 Likes

It’s just two of us at home, and I’m pretty sure we go through two of those Kirkland jugs/year. And I also supplement w/ California Ranch (as a finishing EVOO), so we’re using more than just the Kirkland. It’s not hard to use them up. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Olive oil really does go fast! I like that the Eataly ones come in metal tins. Bay Cities also has some large format EVOO. Don’t recall prices there though.

1 Like

My ralphs and vons have it never to the shitty one.

But I recently discovered that the $10 Costco CA certified olive oil tastes legit!

Regular 750s not that jug above

This one

2 Likes

This is the first time I have seen Azerbaijani olive oil here in Canada. At $18.99 CAD for this size, it’s a bit cheaper than the good Greek or Italian oils, but a bit more expensive than Gallo which tends to be the affordable olive oil.

2 Likes

I’ve been finding some nice Portuguese Olive Oils at Portuguese bakeries for $20 CAD/l in Ontario, Canada.

The going rate for Greek oils I like is $27-$30 CAD/ l in Ontario, Canada.

1 Like

What’s a good tasting olive oil for salad dressings?

The Bariani is still a great olive oil it always wins the quality for price equation for me and not too hard to find in stores.

Katz Chef’s pick that Robert mentioned is still great, I don’t see it in stores as often as I used too but it’s easy enough to find online.

Farchioni is a good ‘everyday’ Italian olive oil that’s on the milder side. I’ve seen it at SM seafood

1 Like

Like a Ralphs Fresh Fare or more like Bristol Farms/Gelsons or Whole Foods?

I think I’ve seen it at Bristol Farms and Gelsons iirc also Surfas. Surfas used to carry Katz as well not sure if they still do or not. Don’t go to whole foods often enough to know if they carry Bariani

1 Like