Greenblatt’s - COVID-19 Claims Another Victim

1 Like

I saw that :cry: back in the days when I used to be out late, they were always a reliable spot for late night eats n drinks

4 Likes

It’s not someplace I would go for the food, but I always ran into someone I knew there, especially late night.

I know the owner told Alison Martino (of Vintage LA) that he was retiring, that it has nothing to do with Covid, although it is true that prices have increased and it was more and more difficult to do business as was.

4 Likes

Nice. It’s a good time to retire if the owner can afford it. Running a restaurant in the time if Covid must be a nightmare.

3 Likes

Very strange. I lived in LA for 15 years, not far from Greenblatt’s, and was barely aware of its existence. It just doesn’t seem to get the love shown for places like Nate’n Al’s, Langer’s, Canter’s, Factor’s or Brent’s. Any thoughts?

1 Like

They definitely have a loyal following. But that’s true, not many write or post about them. :thinking:

Not sure if this is a hot take but I was never a huge fan of greenblatts

1 Like

Yah, I think that’s part of it, lol. People were really into the wine shop, though, and I bet there were some good finds the last week. When I lived in WeHo I’d get their chicken soup when I had a cold but don’t really remember the other food. It was also a good late night spot.

2 Likes

Yeah a lot of my hollywood friends loved that place but they aren’t really FTC food nerds like us lol.

2 Likes

i loved that it was a place you can go to on Sunset Blvd that had free parking and it had their own parking lot. Their food was OK but their Pastrami was better than Canter’s. I’m just sad to see another old part of LA closing. There were many fun nights spent there after partying in the area.

4 Likes

Ahhhh yes. Canter’s too.

3 Likes

that pretty much sums it up. food was certainly serviceable but not the best deli in town. I usually ended up getting either chicken/matzah ball soup, matzah brei or chopped liver and wine— rarely a sandwich.

3 Likes

You triggered a memory. The chopped liver was good!

1 Like

¡¡¡

Their wine shop and late hours made the place a gem. I’m really going to miss Greenblatt’s. The pastrami/food was always fine, but in my opinion, a hair better than Canter’s

5 Likes

This is devastating to me, and I wish this had been posted here prior to its actual closing; the chicken matzo ball soup is the best in LA, and while I do find Brent’s do be a superior East Coast-style deli, Greenblatt’s has always been my #2 due to the late-night hours, convenient parking, discounted loaves of bread available to purchase, crispy coleslaw and their wonderful chopped liver. The sandwiches are very good quality, but they are a bit expensive when properly stuffed with extra meat…however I never minded because Sunset Strip rents.

I really, really wish I could get one more quart (or two!) of that soup…

Here’s hoping they find a buyer.

6 Likes

Oh no… I’m so sorry for your loss @strongoxman!

1 Like

Thank you so much, FTC buddy! Good to see you posting again; this past year has been tough, and staying home all the time (except for limited drive-thru and takeout) really dampened my enthusiasm for restaurants, food and FTC, unfortunately.

At least I did get some Greenblatt’s a few months ago, but still…timely posting would have prompted me to drive to WeHo in rush hour for one last quart of soup :drooling_face:

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing about you. :slightly_smiling_face:

Glad you got your last Greenblatt’s fix semi-recently. I think the closing was quietly abrupt and mostly only regular customers knew. The Eater article was posted on the 11th.

I was younger and going thru my cosmo, appletini phase when I lived in WeHo, but now, if I’d known about the closing I sure would’ve haunted that wine shop! :cry:

3 Likes

Very sad. Although it has been years since my last visit, I have fond memories of Greenblatt’s from when I lived near Sunset Plaza and it was a more regular stop, particularly for a late dinner. I always liked it more than Canter’s or Nate 'n Al’s.

3 Likes