Hayato - ROW DTLA

@TheCookie Is this the hair?

Disclaimer: I have facial blindness, don’t count on me lol

6 Likes

Omg look at young Chow Yun-fat. Yes, lol, Brandon Go looks like a matinee idol. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I wonder if Brandon reads these posts, LOL?

4 Likes

Haha. Btw that is one of the greatest Chinese dramas of all time. Very iconic song too.

He is probably too busy to bother lurking on our food nerd board. With preparing, sourcing, cooking, researching, studying, etc. He does go to places that our LA FTC favorites if I can recall in his IG stories . I seen him go to Ba Le in Westminster and Mini-Kabob. Could be coincidence but I think we are really one of the few places that geek out over hole in the walls on the interwebZ.

2 Likes

I bet $5 that sir Brandon will come laugh at these sometimes :face_with_peeking_eye: #notanillegalbetting

1 Like

fall is in the air so that means new ceramics, crab and matsutake.

(new) sakizuke - ebi shinjo, oregon matsutake somen, ankake

love this dish, glad it’s back.

(new) sujiko, yamaimo, yuzu zest, dashi

(new) agemono - anago, satsumaimo

the best filet o fish with hashbrowns in the city.

shabu shabu kue, tosazu gelee, shiso blossoms

shinogi - aji bozushi, chive rice, ginger, soy sauce

brandon’s rice is incredible

(new) hokkaido kegani

aka bowl o crab

rainier slicing the shin ika

nice little detail of spraying the bowl with “dew” to indicate no one has touched this before you.

(new dish and new bowl) owan - matsutake suimono, yuzu

sashimi - shin ika, tai

sake steamed abalone, abalone stock cubes, abalone liver sauce, wasabi

binchotan grilled nodoguro, lotus root, sudachi, dark soy sauce

(new) fried amadai, ankake, fresh ginko nuts

my favorite amadai prep to give the scales a potato chip crunch contrasted with the boba like chew of the fresh ginko nuts.

(new dish and new ceramics) nabe - hamo, matsutake, mizuna

chinmi - grilled karasumi

gohan - gindara saikyo yaki, mitsuba

before…

rice x3, miso soup, cucumber, turnip, myoga, hojicha tea

really like the new red miso soup bowls

…after

I would like to welcome mr and mrs @hungryhungryhippos :hippopotamus: :hippopotamus: @baxter, and the rest of the counter to the clean donabe club.

ha’s apple farm peaches, sake jelly

who knew ha’s apple farm had a secret stash of late-october peaches.

fin

a pre-bang at kato was perfect :hugs:

uni donut

maitake tempura, fermented chili

wasn’t able to do the kato-bianco-hayato hat trick tonight, but with an assist from mr and mrs @TheCookie ftc was able to complete the rappahannock-bianco-kato-hayato quadruple row bang.

17 Likes

he reads

6 Likes

I’ll second that.

2 Likes

Maitake> matsutake x3!!! What a dream :two_hearts: and peaches :peach: I’m not crazy about the super sweet expensive melon :melon::face_with_peeking_eye: personally… but good stonefruit is :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

All bases covered by Food Talkers!

Looks fabulous @PorkyBelly! Great seeing you. Sorry to have just missed @hungryhungryhippos!

5 Likes

strong move strong move

4 Likes

Had an excellent meal with @PorkyBelly and definitely worthy of the hype, praise, and difficulty to procure reservations.

I won’t post my photos as porkys make mine look like :poop: in comparison.

Favorites were aji bozushi, baby squid, abalone, nodoguro, shrimp and matsutske, and amadai.

Loved the gohan so fatty and smoky from the gindara but balanced with the pickles and the yuzu(?)I had 5.5x bowls and would’ve had more if we didn’t clean em out lol. Chef Brandon’s rice is next level! For both the bozushi and rice dishes.

Who knew mr ha from ha’s mountain apple had a private stash of delicious peaches so late in the season.

Definitely want to do a triple bang with Bianco next time. Also Katos cocktail program is probably the best in the city our pre dinner bang drinks were excellent. Sad we didn’t get to meet, next time @TheCookie!

10 Likes

I didn’t know about the private stash, but, back when he was at the Brentwood FM’s, I would eat peaches until I saw them at his stand (even if other vendors had them prior to that) b/c their presence at his stand was indication that the peaches were ready to be eaten.

2 Likes

apparently the apple farm is in the high desert so their growing season is generally later from lower lying producers such as Ken’s top notch.

2 Likes

21 posts were split to a new topic: Reservation scalping

about how long is a meal at hayato? since its a small restaurant assuming he prepares the next course after everyone has finished one?

2 Likes

3.5 - 4 hours

3 Likes

@PorkyBelly just out of curiosity, do you keep track of the ceramic progression from the beginning? You will be my idol if you do, sir!

from the beginning of when?

1 Like

Last Friday we started our meal at 630 and didn’t leave until after 1030.

3 Likes