Hayato - ROW DTLA

Yeah I saw that. I know Nisei offers the Saturday at the farmers market/light prep work day into dinner which seems like a fun one time thin

Not that I visit Hayato enough but I would totally pay for like a limited run personal sake cup

3 Likes

huh?

aren’t their like 8 seats or something? so priority members could be taking 50% of the seats…

I almost wish once you went once, there’s a period you have to wait to go back again (3-6 months) OR possibly pay extra.

1 Like

I believe it’s been 7 the times I’ve been :-o, with one seating a night… the demand just outweighs their capacity to serve people so much. It’s hard to scale up though because a big part of the experience is just sitting in front of the chef and a small crew making and serving everything to you almost immediately. The staffing ratio is aaaaaalmost 1:1.

6 Likes

I think Brandon is in a thankless position in many ways. One thing that really impresses me is every time I’ve been to Hayato there’s a mix of like one group ordering multiple nice bottles, another sharing maybe a bottle and round of beer or ordering off the btg list, and a group who isnt drinking at all or maybe just a beer. That is a beautiful balance to me and also a strategic one.

@PorkyBelly’s summer menu IG captioning service.

ezgif.com-optimize (2)

sakizuke - seared kinmedai (chiba katsuura), tosazu, soramame, shiso blossoms

agemono - brentwood corn and hokkaido scallop kakiage, mitsuba

grilled hamo, fresh wasabi, salt

(new) aemono - live santa barbara spot prawns, okra, snap peas, daikon, kinome, kimizu sauce

(new) yaki nasu, shredded ginger, dashi

shinogi - aji bozushi, chive rice, wasabi, soy sauce

owan - dungeness crab suimono, baby kabu

sashimi - hatsu katsuo warayaki, ginger, shiso, myoga, salt

sake steamed abalone, abalone stock cube, abalone liver sauce, wasabi

charcoal grilled nodoguro, charcoal roasted onion x2

kisu tempura, daikon and ginger ankake

nabe - griled and steamed amadai, komatsuna, shiitake

grilled karasumi

anago and kinome gohan

the bottom of the donabe was reached

nori and miso soup

nectarine on a counter

ken’s top notch white nectarine, sake and sea salt gelee

harry’s berries gaviota, kinako infused whipped cream

matcha

fin

12 Likes

Can you caption it in Japanese calligraphy? And only 1 wasabon instead of the usual 3?

2 Likes

so whistful - like gentle breeze on a blade of grass with a morning dew holding on with the faintness of breaths

7 Likes

Haiku form:

Hayato noren,
Summer breeze, flirting its edge…
Any open seats?

6 Likes

Looks like a superlative meal. Supreme skill on display!

I like how he opens with soramame. And that nacre sheen on hatsu katsuo, very nice.

Seasons change their robes
Washoku attends subtly
Fine cut eel just grilled.

5 Likes

what did i just eat?
how to caption my IG?
copy FTC

7 Likes

1 Like

@PorkyBelly should write for Eater LA so he could write off all these dinners on a 1099

7 Likes

Supreme skittles on display.

And the desserts sound sweet as candy rain while retaining that washoku Soul for Real.

But the corn and scallop kakiage with mitsuba stems sounds brilliant with great textures. Some would even say sensational.

1 Like

Did you dine with AGavin?

1 Like

Logging in to bow at your captions and pictures. Excellent as always! Time to copy this homework lol

1 Like

Any suggestions on how to transfer a reservation to someone else? I recruited a friend to get online and try to help me snag a resy. I was not successful; the friend was. Plan was for friend to transfer reservation to me, but it seems like that’s not an option on Tock. Any idea if chef will allow a transfer if the friend emails/calls the restaurant?

1 Like

email

3 Likes

Email like Porky said, or…just show up and give your friend’s name.

with caviar bae @Clayfu and unverified max

3 Likes