Hayato - ROW DTLA

Me leaving Hayato after faking a Tock resellers ID

9 Likes

Ahhh okay. I thought Hayato always had a rule that reservations are non-transferable.

1 Like

Have a Tock account, have your card info saved, and have a watch showing the seconds that count down until 10a PST. Be logged in and have one date in mind. The moment it turns 10a, refresh and click on that date asap. If you hesitate even a second, you lose the chance to reserve any seat. I believe it preloads for 2 seat reservations automatically so it’s tricky if you only want one seat. Also, use multiple devices. I learned the hard way how much any hesitation costs me a reservation.

7 Likes

Yes, that sounds horrible. I think sketchy websites are still selling reservations like normal. I hope normal people who don’t lurk on FTC don’t fall into these scams :frowning:

2 Likes

This place sure must be great!

fall matsutake menu IG caption updates.

@pomodoro @formersushichef @Clayfu review forthcoming?

sakizuke - ebi shinjo, oregon matsutake somen, ankake

shabu shabu kue, tosazu gelee, shiso blossoms

agemono - satsumaimo, hotate (hokkaido)

grilled shin ika, sudachi

sujiko, yamaimo, yuzu zest, dashi

saba (kyushu) bozushi, uonuma koshihikari rice, sesame seeds

owan - shiro amadai, somen, kinome

otsukuri - tennen tai, akagai, wasabi, fresh nori, myoga, shiso

sake steamed abalone, nikogori abalone cube, liver sauce, wasabi

charcoal grilled nodoguro (nagasaki), charcoal roasted onion

anago tempura, ankake, ginkgo nuts

nabe - hamo, matsutake, kureson, yuzu zest

grilled karasumi

dungeness crab gohan

nori, miso soup (fresh nori, udo), cucumber, myoga, kabu, hojicha

k&j orchards nashi pear, sake jelly, sea salt

fin

16 Likes

Inquiring minds would like to know how many bowls of rice?

1 Like

Oh my Dungeness for the rice course!

my favorite dish of the night

5 Likes

Anago tempura and scallop tempura were my favorites. Another stellar dinner at Hayato! The dinner as a whole was a perfect symphony. Also, it was my first time having Aramasa sake and WOW, they blew my mind.

10 Likes

Great night! I really like the approach to pure washoku and am glad that somewhere like this exists in LA, opting to serve items like kue and shiroamadai with subtle seasoning instead of usual powerful luxury ingredients.

I liked the 1-2-3 of the grilled nodoguro, the anago tempura, and hamo matsutake nabe.

Nodoguro is really tasty of course, and the sweet onion still had a little bit of crispness which was a nice contrast. And the bizen-yaki plate, with its scorched earth hues matched the ingredients visually and its matte texture a nice foil as well to the oily fish.

Whereas the nodoguro’s fattiness and onion’s sweetness lingered, the anago tempura’s crispness and ginko’s mild bitterness were “short” and a nice reset. I think the ankake was a nice bridge with the ginnan’s smooth but denser texture, too. The plating was also quite bare, so it was a visual contrast to the nodoguro before.

And the hamo, which is cut to resemble a chrysanthemum when it flowers in the broth, is a subtle dish. I think that cress had just the right note to not overpower the fine hamo and matsutake. Proportions were good as the matsutake’s thicker cut here is key.

The drink list is a lot of fun already, but I look forward to see what new sakes he’ll have at a future visit, too. Thanks to kind neighbors for sharing some of their drinks, as well.

Jikon senbon nishiki

forgot to take pics of the Chartogne Les Couarres 2017

14 Likes

I enjoyed 3.5 bowls before the rice ran out and was very satisfied. you will not leave hungry at hayato.

2 Likes

I agree. There is plenty of food at Hayato.

I think my friend and I needed to be wheeled out.

3 Likes

Finally went and it was worth every dollar.

As someone who isn’t really into fine dining I thought Hayato was amazing and appreciated the focus on extremely high quality ingredients and technique vs. luxury items such as truffle, caviar, etc.

Highlights were the chestnut and scallop tempura, tilefish in dashi, roasted onion over charcoals, and Dungeness crab rice.

I would say 95% of what we ate we thought was unbelievable. The only dishes I was lukewarm about were the hamo with mitsuba course which seemed like it was maybe lacking some salt or seasoning, and I didn’t really care for the abalone even though it was certainly very rich and flavorful.

Will have to be back when I can splurge again.

17 Likes

So nice to read a report from a Hayao first-timer!

2 Likes

39 posts were split to a new topic: Hayato reservation difficulty: threat or menace?

Trying for fun to get Hayato seats must be similar to catch and release fishing

3 Likes

Dec 14th for one person still available right now

2 Likes

LA Times’ NUMBER ONE!

For what it’s worth.

2 Likes

Oh look at me!! back again for my 6th time this year!! so special.

first-timer @Sgee review forthcoming?

sakizuke - ebi shinjo, oregon matsutake “somen” , ankake

shabu shabu kue, tosazu gelee, shiso blossoms

(new) agemono - kuri no shibukawa-ni, hotate (hokkaido)

(new) grilled ise ebi, sudachi, salt, miso

(new) shinogi - sekogani okayu with uchiko and sotoko eggs, kani miso

sujiko, yamaimo, yuzu zest, dashi

owan - shiro amadai, somen, kinome

ezgif.com-video-to-gif (5)

(new) otsukuri - rice-straw-seared modori-katsuo, shiso, ginger, myoga

sake steamed abalone, nikogori abalone cube, liver sauce, wasabi

charcoal grilled kinki, charcoal roasted onions

anago tempura, ankake, ginkgo nuts

honekiri

ezgif.com-video-to-gif (6)

nabe - hamo, matsutake, komatsuna, yuzu zest

grilled karasumi

dungeness crab gohan, yuki tsubaki koshihikari (uonuma) rice

me eating my third bowl of rice while everyone else at the counter was already on dessert

k&j orchards nashi pear, sake jelly, sea salt

matcha

(new) higashi by yasuko-san

18 Likes