Hayato - ROW DTLA

So nice to read a report from a Hayao first-timer!

2 Likes

39 posts were split to a new topic: Hayato reservation difficulty: threat or menace?

Trying for fun to get Hayato seats must be similar to catch and release fishing

3 Likes

Dec 14th for one person still available right now

2 Likes

LA Times’ NUMBER ONE!

For what it’s worth.

2 Likes

Oh look at me!! back again for my 6th time this year!! so special.

first-timer @Sgee review forthcoming?

sakizuke - ebi shinjo, oregon matsutake “somen” , ankake

shabu shabu kue, tosazu gelee, shiso blossoms

(new) agemono - kuri no shibukawa-ni, hotate (hokkaido)

(new) grilled ise ebi, sudachi, salt, miso

(new) shinogi - sekogani okayu with uchiko and sotoko eggs, kani miso

sujiko, yamaimo, yuzu zest, dashi

owan - shiro amadai, somen, kinome

ezgif.com-video-to-gif (5)

(new) otsukuri - rice-straw-seared modori-katsuo, shiso, ginger, myoga

sake steamed abalone, nikogori abalone cube, liver sauce, wasabi

charcoal grilled kinki, charcoal roasted onions

anago tempura, ankake, ginkgo nuts

honekiri

ezgif.com-video-to-gif (6)

nabe - hamo, matsutake, komatsuna, yuzu zest

grilled karasumi

dungeness crab gohan, yuki tsubaki koshihikari (uonuma) rice

me eating my third bowl of rice while everyone else at the counter was already on dessert

k&j orchards nashi pear, sake jelly, sea salt

matcha

(new) higashi by yasuko-san

18 Likes

Meh no need for dessert when the Dungeness crab is sweet and in season. I wish I could just buy the rice course lol

3 Likes

I can’t get past 2 bowls with the crab rice, it’s just so decadent and delicious.

3 Likes

Tough to nail austere style kaiseki. Seriously, this was legit excellent all round! Bestest restaurant in LA imo.

Henceforth I shall request all future seiko-ganis to be served warm.

I really enjoyed listening to Brandon’s detailed explanation of the preparation styles, ingredient choices etc. This level of detail is often lost in translation while dining in Japan. You can really feel his passion and dedication to his craft. Also I finally got an explanation on the reason for the wider flaps on his donabe vs the regular edition.

Thanks @PorkyBelly for the invite!

I know you could have easily taken down another bowl or two!! :joy:

9 Likes

good point, I learn something new every time I go there.

1 Like

You’re the reason why I don’t need to post photos of my experience at Hayato :joy: you got all the shots and captions perfectly hahaha I just went today. My friend who is a first timer loved it. She did not like the hamo nor the karasumi. But she is very picky with certain tastes and textures so that’s why. Otherwise she’s loved it as non sushi eater and non foodie. The sake selection was :toilet::toilet::toilet::toilet::toilet:

3 Likes

happy birthday

3 Likes

I dont think its fair that you are able to book as a regular so many times and take away opportunities from first timers who have never had the chance to go. Its torture that you are showing off how many times you have gone while many never seem to be able to get a reservation.

13 Likes

I thought you were serious when I started reading but then I saw who it was :joy::joy:

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s fair that you are able to eat PRD hainan chicken so many times and take away opportunities from first timers who have never had the chance. It’s torture that you are showing off how many times you have gone while many never seem to be able to get an order.

16 Likes

The toilet ranking system is new. I hope those are Toto and not Kohler.

7 Likes

the toilet ranking system got introduced when @CiaoBob @chrishei and i noticed hayato switched from american standard to toto. how elitist.

7 Likes

They are toto :joy:did I get the emoji wrong? Ops

2 Likes

Going from American standard to Toto was also the final prereq for Michelin :star: :star:

Going from :star: :star: to :star: :star: :star: will probably require a Neorest

10 Likes

Oh I forgot to mention. The bathroom smelled great. They had this beautiful incense either in there or they lit it before they opened. Either way it was an upgrade and new to me. I think last time the smell either faded or wasn’t there to begin with.

6 Likes