Hayato - ROW DTLA

Isn’t Sushi Saito ichigen-san okotowari? Or did this incident prompt Saito-san to make it so?

Unclear on that, and the time frame of when those incidents actually occurred. The inside joke is that the same 12 to 20 people book all their next reservations now for the main counter each time when their dinner concludes for the evening. Pays to be friend of friend of the chef for sure. But I’m sure some reservations slip through the cracks. Or you can pay a fortune for an arry membership for a crackshot, but could be the private room with chef #2.

It was very, very nice. We did a credit card authorization via our hotel concierge (and would have been subject to a “no show” penalty had we not showed). We will be returning to Japan this Fall. We have only one night in Tokyo, a Sat (!!!). So I am sure I will soon be asking for some ideas from you and others on the Asia board. The main focus of the trip will be Tohuko, Kanazawa, Kobe, Osaka.

2 Likes

Side post: Not high end at all, but a fun (and delicious) day trip is Akashi west of Kobe. My friend took me there during my last Osaka trip to try the local specialty, akashiyaki. Quite similar to takoyaki, but soft, rich, and eggy. Her husband drove us there, so I’m not sure about the JR situation.

4 Likes

yum!

2019 Fall Menu

i’ve said it before and i’ll say it again, everything at hayato, including the service, hospitality, thoughtfulness, ambiance, guest interaction and of course the food, make it the best dining experience i’ve had in la. with only one seating a night you basically have chef go and his team’s undivided attention for the entire evening. c’mon what over restaurants only have one seating a night? (hint: not many). it’s almost impossible not to have a great experience. @TheCookie, @attran99, @Chowseeker1999, @Bookwich, @beefnoguy, @Sgee, @Hungrydrunk

this is a special place and we’re lucky to have it in la. i’m already planning my next visit.

santa barbara spiny lobster seared over binchotan, kimizu sauce (egg yolk, dashi, rice vinegar), green yuzu zest, sea salt
like a large langoustine cooked to the perfect tenderness

agemono - harrison’s chestnuts, hokkaido scallops isobe age
i wish i got a better shot of the nori batter, loved how it gave the scallops a nice pop of umami.

sabazushi, sesame seed rice
first time having this and i knew it would be epic just looking at it. i was salivating just watching chef go make this. like a piece of battera with super crispy nori. Favorite bozushi so far. highlight @JeetKuneBao

And if you don’t know, now you know… the notorious B. H. G.

hayato_20191109_194025_2

owan - nodoguro (black throat seaperch), matsutake mushrooms (oregon)
dashi was incredible

sashimi - aji (hyogo prefecture spanish mackerel), akagai (ark clam), tai (kagoshima sea bream), salt, soy sauce, wasabi, raw nori, myoga, shiso
everything was pristine

sake steamed abalone, abalone stock cubes, abalone liver sauce, wasabi
I could just smear some of that abalone stock jelly on a baguette and be happy

kinki (hokkaido), sea salt, lotus root, dark soy sauce
Outstanding. Loved the texture contrast between the soft fatty fish and the crunchy, meaty lotus root that was slow roasted over binchotan for 45 minutes.

anago (sea eel, yamaguchi prefecture) simmered in sweet sake, japanese turnip, ankake (thickened dashi), baby ginger
Soft and fatty with a great balance between the sweetness and the baby ginger.

bonus course - matsutake mushrooms, fresh panko, sudachi citrus
Loved the fantastic crunch from the fresh panko.

shabu shabu - zuwaigani (hokkaido snow crab), shiitake mushrooms
favorite shabu shabu so far with huge chunks of sweet tender crab. highlight.

chinmi - karasumi (dried mullet roe)
Dense and briny like a caviar candy bar.

gohan - kinmedai (chiba prefecture)
My favorite gohan I’ve had at hayato. Loved the fatty, flaky, kinmedai. Chef go remembered how much of a glutton I am and served me a little bit extra x3. Highlight.

Inhaled three of these bowls

k & j orchards nashi pear, sake jelly, sea salt

extra extra course
does getting an after-dinner bento box make you look fat? #askingforafriend

17 Likes

No ressies out as far as the eye can see :tired_face:

Thanks for this fantastic report on the latest fall menu!

Love the little shellfish theme going on for a few courses! Quite a heavenly match with good umami rich sake and white wines like Alsace and White Burgundies.

The bousushi looks pretty insane (ditto for the binchotan grilled nodoguro, matsutake dashi owan course), love the scoring on the top!

Glad he’s serving kinki! (Yoshizumi is doing sakamushi with it these days for the extended course)

I’m looking forward to whenever I can visit again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would love to return! If only I could book a night that works for me. Thanks for sharing, @PorkyBelly!

1 Like

Wow. I don’t ball out on meals, but I’m tempted to take myself here as a graduation present :grimacing: Looks absolutely spectacular

5 Likes

Has he started using the tatami table yet or figured out how to incorporate it into his service? I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be worth it to earn an extra $1000 a night being able to serve more customers and hopefully allow more of us to be able to get reservations as well.

1 Like

I would seriously buy that whole length of that sushi for a Benjamin.

This place is my number one on my list for “fine dining”.

2 Likes

LOL Porky I was next door when you were there. Wanted to come by and say Hola to Go-san after my meal but reconsidered cuz I didn’t wanna disturb his flow…

4 Likes

I made a reservation :speak_no_evil: This will be my biggest dining splurge ever, but I only get my PhD once and no one else is going to treat me to such a high end meal :sweat_smile:

19 Likes

Congrats on successfully defending your thesis.

2 Likes

Thank you! As of now, it’s good luck. By the end of next week, let’s hope it’s congrats! I didn’t know if the solo seat reservation for next month would hang around until it’s official :smile:

10 Likes

That’s wonderful, Dr. Chinchi!

3 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Darn it, why did I look at your Hayato pics?! I suddenly feel the urge to return ASAP again! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smile:

Great report, and I totally agree with you regarding Hayato. I think I can speak for all of us on FTC that we’re glad Hayato only got 1 Michelin Star (maybe next year keep it at a Plate award or something), so we can keep the tourists and star chasers out. :wink:

The Bento Box: Wow! Was that a special arrangement? Or is it because the dining group couldn’t finish the Gohan?

3 Likes

Congrats @chinchi! :slight_smile: Hayato is totally worth it, and it’s for a great occasion as you said. :wink:

1 Like

How much do you guys think I can sell a Hayato reservation for?

4 Likes