Hayato - ROW DTLA

Totally instagram worthy time lapse. Lol not sure why you just lurk and don’t post. Wasted Talent. Lol :joy:

9 Likes

Actually fascinating to see the order @PorkyBelly goes through the bento!

This was last weekend, but it is true how it seems like the bentos keep getting better and better. This time it was the vegetables that really screamed from the radish to the cucumber. Even the carrot was exploding with flavor.

In the eternal struggle between Shrimp Shinjo and Snow Crab Tofu, the Snow Crab took this one.

7 Likes

I finally got one yesterday and damn this thing is indeed amazing. Totally worth the hour drive.

9 Likes

I wonder if they will continue offering The Bento once everything returns to “normal”. It would be so smart to train a small team to make the bentos now, while he is still very hands-on and then continue bento service to augment his dine-in experience. I don’t think there would be much, if any, cannibalization of his dine-in sales. They have developed such a strong reputation and following for the bentos, it would be a shame to see them just disappear.

The lunch bento? Or the dinner takeout set?

I believe the lunch bento will be sticking around since it was part of the restaurant before the pandemic.

2 Likes

that was the case during the before times.

aww, my bad. haha. then… neverrrrmind

I know. He’s a tech magician. But he doesn’t want those social media sneaks traipsing across his lawn. :smirk:

1 Like

Chef knows Chef.

1 Like

But is it really a “sacrifice” of his personal life if it’s his whole reason for being? The man is so incredibly driven, I don’t know that he could even have a personal life for long. That’s why he chose to reopen Hayato with new concepts during this pandemic–after a while, leisure time wasn’t doing him any favors.

Agreed. I had totally forgotten that The Bento was not a COVID creation, and therefore my comment really made no sense.

I’m sure he loves his work and it gives him immense satisfaction and i doubt many chefs go into it expecting to work 40 hour weeks. But it’s disrespectful imo to suggest that chefs are happy to work themselves to the bone and don’t need or want a life outside of work like everyone else. Just my.o2c

5 Likes

I meant absolutely no disrespect to Chef Go or to anyone in his position, and I’m sorry that you interpreted my musings that way. I didn’t choose my wording carefully enough. Of course chefs need and deserve a life outside of the workplace and I would never, ever suggest otherwise. And while it was presumptuous of me to assume anything about what Chef Go needs and wants, or not, outside of work, I do know that he chose to reopen Hayato because he felt that he wanted to get back to doing what he feels so passionate and driven about.

3 Likes

Chef Go and I have talked last few times I picked up, from back in August when he said he works out for an hour, does yoga, then has so much free time in the day, to December when he said he had truly changed the way he lives his life. Which I interpreted to mean finding a new focus or drive to bring to his cooking.

2 Likes

Yah, that’s how I interpreted what you said. It’s his passion.

Thank you for reading me correctly. :blush:

1 Like

and in his own words, it’s what gives his life meaning.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDKBLDJDVb0/

4 Likes

So states the gospel of Brandon.

Late post - Nabe night

Grabbed one of these fun boxes during soft opening in January. This may be my most favorite takeout of all the pandemic. I loved that it was an interactive experience that was casual enough to do at home, but luxurious enough to feel like a treat because of the great ingredients.

Oh, how I have missed the sake gelée! I so clearly remember the Andy’s orchard peaches in this same gelée in 2018 and the pears were also a delight.

13 Likes

Baller mode:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMf1LhtjCWB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

6 Likes