Hayato - ROW DTLA

ha, @chewchow mentioned she had dinner with you and @LouisianaMouth when i saw her at majordomo. I was mildly concerned that i ate too much at lunch.

2 Likes

You definitely ate too much at lunch :crazy_face:

Says the one who wanted OOE of the large format dishes!

1 Like

We went earlier this week, really enjoyed the Spring menu. Chef Go never fails to impress. The addition of the little chinmi course was fun; the sea cucumber ovaries were delicious. Chef Go made sure that everyone had a little sake to pair with them. He indicated heā€™d like to introduce his customers to more ā€œspecial tastesā€ but wants to take it carefully, as heā€™s not sure about reception. Still not sure when the tatami table is opening, but heā€™s got a second chef on board, someone he worked with at his fatherā€™s restaurant, who was there for years.

4 Likes

i said ā€œmildly.ā€

5 Likes

@PorkyBelly I truly admire your gusto! #YOLO

2 Likes

Just an update. With both Food & Wine BNC and the L.A. Times accolades, no more E-mail reservations are being accepted at Hayato going forward. I tried scoring weekday reservations two months in advance and no luck. Not sure if FOTC is going to work now.

5 Likes

Damnā€¦but I am happy for him

6 Likes

Me, too. The precision, the effort, the execution of amazingly simple but complex dishes is just amazingā€¦and with so little help. Itā€™s one of the best meals in the city.

2 Likes

Well good for him but too bad for me and my friends.

Still this is the best case scenario for him, its better than LA not receiving his food well which I had feared was a possibility. If he gets a michelin star which I am sure is he is in the running for along with n/Naka potentially I wonder if this will spur a new golden age of interest in kaiseki dining. Considering sushi is possibly over saturated and the costs can be crazy due to importing the fish I hope this spurs interest in other potential kaiseki restaurants.

8 Likes

This place is hot right now and thatā€™s awesome! Very happy for the chef. I will say that it might not have quite reached n/naka difficult yet thankfully. I decided to camp the 5/21 reservation and see how that one went just now. While the solo reservation was gone right off the bat somehow, the reservation for 2 did not fill until about a minute and half past. :rofl: Hopefully some of you might put that to good use! My solo butt will continue to wait for an opportune moment and keep adding myself to the notify list haha.

4 Likes

Not sure if itā€™ll fit you and all your friends (didnā€™t you do a full bookout?) but perhaps once the tatami room is ready that might be an option?

Edit: Thatā€™s interesting. Went browsing through his website just now and I donā€™t see the verbiage about the tatami room being under construction anymore. One of the other pages also notes that its available via special requestā€¦ Perhaps its already ready? :thinking: Might be able to email him and ask.

when/what time do reservations become available for each calander day?

at midnight 28 days out

1 Like

I think itā€™s ready but heā€™s not doing it consistently due to logistics.

Going on Friday and will ask.

replying to my own comment, went to Hayato again yesterday and talked to Chef Go more about the table. Heā€™s still trying to perfect the service aspect of it. His main concern is proper beverage service, to make sure that their needs are met. Easy to refill when at the bar since he can see them, but not as easy at the table. Great conversation about all aspects of beverage service/pacing etc.

Started training someone a couple weeks ago and itā€™s moving along well. We offered ourselves up as test subjects as we bring our own wine and are happy to pour for ourselves. lol

8 Likes

Oh, the sacrifices we make as FTCersā€¦ :smile:

1 Like

Flight of the Concords?

2 Likes

Yup! You got it.

2 Likes

Okay, just checkinā€™.

1 Like